Good morning,

I don't really know how to begin this message, I'm soo exausted and mad against that weight gain and stuff.
I am 20 years old and was diagnostied with Hashimoto one year ago. Since then, I put up 20 kilos ( most of them in 6 months ). My t4f and t3f are okay, and THS is at 0.40, which is the minimum.

There are two years and a half ago, I was 110 kilos. I decided to lose weight and did 2 to 3 hours of sport per day + a diet. I lost 54 kilos and reached 56 kilos for 180. I felt soo good and happy for the first time of my life, no kidding.
And then, I haven't even had the time to have fun with my new body, that I began putting up weight.
I do 10 to 14 hours of sport per week ( I run a lot, quick walks in the mountain and so on ) and still follow my diet ( 1200-1300 cal )
I'm sick, I'm trying not to be too depressed, but it's hard. I'm soo tired, my muscles don't want to keep on, and neither want I. Thinking that I've lost one year of my life trying to lose weight for nothing makes me mad.
I'm followed by a diet doctor, who can't even find why I keep on putting weight,m but tries to change some of the aspects of what I eat. I also see a psy, he can't really help me, as my problem is real, and not just in my head.

I litteraly stopped living, just to dedicate my life to recover my normal body, it's useless.. ..

I need some help, anything please. Because if I can't lose weight, I really can't imagine keeping on living.

Thank you soo much in advance.
Best regards.

Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1)  Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  
That's it.  No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

2)  Give up sugar.  No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal.  
Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of
sugar.  Water is the only liquid you need.

3)  In the beginning, establish a very rigid diet:  Exactly
the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the
same amounts.  Weigh the portions on a scale.  Consider
frozen dinners.  Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, and
probably other brands have several that are low in
calories and saturated fat, moderate in salt, and high
in fiber.

4)  Weigh yourself every day.  Your weight should go down
over every couple of days.  If it doesn't, eliminate items
from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your
weight does go down.

5)  When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you
can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure
that you keep losing weight.

6)  Maintain your regular exercise program.

I've written an essay about losing weight on my blog that
talks somewhat more generally about how to lose weight.
Here's a link to that essay:

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Good morning,

That's exactly what I've been doing for the past two and a half years.. .
I can't reduce more my meals, otherwise my body won't stand.. . eating only 1300 cal for 2 hours of sport per day is already very few.

Thank you for your answer, but I do that already, I'm hopeless....

If the steps I recommended really don't work, then you might get checked out by a doctor to make sure nothing is basically wrong. If you check out OK, then try fasting -- no food at all, only water. If you surf the internet, you can find plenty of information about how to proceed with that kind of fast..

BUT, since you're counting calories, I suspect that you're not following the steps I suggested exactly. Stop counting calories and follow the steps I listed precisely and completely.

I got checked by several doctors, and except my Hashimoto/hypo everything is okay.

I do follow each step :

I do eat 3 meals, I don't eat anything inbetween. I don't eat sugar, I can't even remember the taste of it. The only '' sugar '' I eat is whole meal bread in the morning. I weight everyday and it keeps going up. I weight everything I eat, always..

I just don't agree with two things you say :

Eating every day the same meals is the opposite that people should do ! If you advice this to people, they will wind up eating chocolate and other things because they're frustrated. Besides, it is important to change meals in order to have every kind of nutriments.
Secondly, never advice people to fast in order to lose weight. This is ridiculous, they will lose water and muscle, but not fat. Or yes, fat, if they fast for a long time. I know how to proceed, but it's not a good advice, really.

Anyway, thanks for your answers.

OK, I'm done with this thread.  I've given you good advice, and you just find excuses.  You just don't want to lose weight badly enough, so I can't help you.  And I suspect that no one else has been able to help you either. 

"The fault, dear Brutus is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

I don't understand why you react like this... I can't even give my opinion.

I don't want to lose weight ? what the heck O_o I do most of the things you say, plus several hours of sport per week. I have a dietetician to help me eat well ( and guess what she said '' another person would lose weight with what you eat'').

How can you judge me and say I don't make efforts. It's despicable to say that.
Fasting is not a way to lose weight. Every doctor would say the same.

Anyway, I don't know why you're on a forum to help people if you can't hear other people's opinion.

Hellow,
I really need some advices please. anything.. .

How rude BobDay!

I believe you entirely. Why is it that so many people are so self-righteous about weight gain in other people? They take a morally superior attitude, insisting that those who have gained weight MUST be lazy and gluttonous, because somewhere along the way, the finger-waggers "learned" that calories in must be balanced by calories out. However, the real evidence suggests otherwise. All of us have known really gluttonous eaters who remain thin or normal weight, and small eaters who are nonetheless overweight. I wish more people would think about what they observe, instead of jumping to silly conclusions, doctors included. That bit of "wisdom" is one of those supposedly accurate scientific facts (along with so many other such "facts") that have since been disproven. There are many types of weight gain that have nothing to do with how much you eat, or what you eat, or how active you are. There is dietary obesity, there is genetic obestiy, there is drug-related obesity (anti-depressants, Lithium, steroids). I have read too many cases of sudden and rapid weight gain with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis not to believe that this is the cause. I wish that endocrinologists would start advancing their knowledge in this respect.

wow bobday... you are truly a jerk. lol   I have hashimotos and it has greatly contributed to me currently being obese (was 120lbs 3 years ago, now 230 with extremely high body fat %)   and I haven't changed anything aside from being exhausted all the time and actually eating less....

It took some time to accept the changes but i have come to realize that being fat isn't all bad.   people show their true nature and it is generally more comfortable with all the extra padding :)

But as for weight loss I have had no luck at all, and have done some research into the subject.  Apparently it is next to impossible to lose fat while in a hypo state.

I hope to see some progress  once i get a diagnosis.  Until then the jiggly stuff just keeps piling on...

Best of luck to you all  :)   P.S.  GROW UP BOB!  lol

BTW. anyone else have a huge belly from this? very cumbersome :(

I agree with your post. People who don't suffer from Hashimotos Thyroidits (such as BobDay) don't have a clue about what we go through each day. I've been battling with this disease all my life and it has taken a tole on my overall health and well being. Still struggling with trying to get the weight off. I eat healthy and exercise every day and still gain weight. It's an awful way to live and I'm so depressed. I'm so tired I can barely function and make it through each day. Doctors need to do more extensive research on this disease so they can properly treat it and improve the life of all the people that suffer with this disease!

This is total and absolute rubbish advice!  Whether for someone who wants to lose a few lbs/kgs or someone who has Hashimotos.  If you are going to post a reply, please make sure you understand the subject to which you are replying - clearly this poster doesn't.

I agree with all of your comments about Hashimoto's disease. I have this too along with low thyroid function and can't lose weight! Fasting is not the way to go for me as I have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and I don't believe it is the right thing to do for anyone.
Are there any doctors that specialize in Hashiomoto's disease?