Hello! My brother is diagnosed with helicobactor pylori and ulcers in the stomach. I saw a picture of this bacterium, it looks so weird. I would like to get more information on how this bacterium works in the stomach causing ulcers and gastritis. Is there is anybody who know something about it, please, feel free to share it with me.

H. pylori lives in the stomach and it is thought that her shape and characteristics cause the damage that leads to ulcers. Because of the way they move, they can penetrate the stomach's protective mucous lining where they produce the enzyme urease, which generates substances that neutralize the stomach's acids. This weakens the stomach's protective mucus, makes the stomach cells more susceptible to the damaging effects of acid and pepsin, and leads to sores or ulcers in the stomach. Bacteria can also attach to stomach cells and weaken the stomach's defensive mechanisms even more, thus producing local inflammation.