I have a cousin who is infected with Helicobacter pylori. I have heard for this problem before, and I know it affect our stomach. However, I am surprised because they discover that bacterium accidentally, because she did not have any symptoms. Now I am wondering is she did not want to tell us she has some problem, or she did not feel anything at all. Can you tell me which are symptoms related to Helicobacter pylori?

It is common situation that most persons who are infected with H. pylori never suffer any symptoms related to the infection. However, Helicobacter pylori could cause chronic active, chronic persistent and atrophic gastritis, both in adults and children. Infection with Helicobacter pylori also causes duodenal and gastric ulcers. Infected persons have a few fold of increased risk of developing gastric cancer and mucosal-associated-lymphoid-lymphoma. The role of Helicobacter pylori in non-ulcer dyspepsia remains unclear, and infection of this bacterium probably occurs when an individual swallows the bacteria in food or fluid. This infection is likely one of the most common worldwide and the rate of infection increases with age. It also occurs frequently in young people in the developing countries of the world. As I already said, in many cases it does not produce symptoms. In other words, the infection can occur without the person knowing it, as it happened with your cousin. The infection remains localized to the gastric area, and probably persists unless specific treatment is given to the patient. It could happen that symptoms related occur as ulcer symptoms, which include nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite.