i am a 20 year old female, i have been having pain in my upper middle abdomen for over a year now and burping a lot, shortness of breath at times, i have went to the doctor and he did the test where he put the light down my throat and he did not find no infections or stomach ulcers and said my gall bladder looked good, he said my stomach is just producing to much acid caused from stress, he prescribed me Nexium i haven't got it filled yet because its 50, i haven't got that so i am trying to get the Nexium savings card but until i can do that i am trying to figure out why i am still hurting off and on my symptoms are weird, it doesn't hurt everytime i eat or when i eat a certain food, like say i eat pizza one day and it doesn't hurt i can eat pizza the next day and it will hurt, it seems like it only hurts at certain times not depending on what i eat, i have tried pills like Prilosec, Zantac, Maalox over the counter meds and they don't seem to help, its a sharp dull cramping ache in the upper middle part of my stomach, sometimes it hurts so much all i can do is lay in bed and cry, i wake up at night hurting i cant get any sleep, i burp a lot when it hurts sometimes a big burp will ease the pain temporally, i burp up acid sometimes not everytime, i just feel sick the doctor seemed puzzled like he didn't know what was wrong, he never told me what it was he just prescribed the Nexium i had to ask him and he paused and was thinking and then said it was from stress producing to much acid, i don't think i stress a whole lot to be hurting this bad, and if it is from stress why didn't my doctor give me something to help ease my stressing? or refer me to somebody about stress? this is my first time posting anything about my conditions online i am trying to figure out what it could be, any advice would help, thanks

hi , i am 39 years old and i have alott of issues like thos  that you discribed. i have had them for many years but only figured out what it was recently.  many years ago i was always in the er  with stomach pAIN AND CHEST PAIN ( ALOT OF CHEST PAIN) oops sorry bout the caps!        alot of acid reflux , the dr looked at me like i was crazy. I felt like i was going crazy . they would treat me like i was there for chest pain and heart attack instead of looking at my stomach . and of course they found nothing . They siad it was anxiety attacks but for many years noone put me on anything for anxiety  so i suffered not noing what it was and people lookin at me like i was making things up just to get attention . just in the last 2 years i figured out what was truely going on . my stomach went from doin the whole acid reflux thing to making actual loud grumbling sounds almost like a stomach sound when its hungry but very loud my boyfriend could here it from another room . it started doing this all day long, it came along with burning in my stomach , the chest pain, acid reflux ,and stomach pain .  my boyfriend took me to the er and the dr there listened to my stomach and siad that this was the worst case of stomach acid she has ever witnessed in her whole 30 plus years of practice .  it took her 2 seconds to figure it out when other drs couldent or maybe just didnt want to. if drs would have treated me corectly many yearsb ago it probley wouldent be this bad now . the dr called it gerd. as of right now i treat it with zantac prilosec and things like that and diet .  i have noticed with the help of these types of pills watching what you eat helps alott . i have to stay away from things like pizza , fried chicken , spicey foods like tacos peppers ect. greasy foods , acidy foods, and spicey foods triger this almost every time . i from time to time will eat very little of these things and trust me my stomach pays for it for many days after just one time.  i would stay on top of your dr about this . it can get worse and turn into gerd or even stomach ulcers or worse bleeding stomach ulcers.  it does interfer with life when it gets this bad . good luck on your journey to find out what is going on .

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have had the same thing and nobody seems to know what it is. One doctor removed my gall bladder, but that didn't help either. I could sure use some advice.

Sometimes it could also be the results of stress. Try doing some activities or get medical advices from your Doctor.

Hello everyone, 

I've been suffering from more or less similar stomach problems for years now. For me the whole thing started for me much like it did for evilkitty212, only I didn't see the doctor until the whole thing escalated to the burst ulcer. After that I was put on the Nexium too - and as much expensive it is, it did help. As you can imagine, after the ulcer I had to watch my diet really really close - I couldn't imagine that a slice of tomatoes could cause such a pain, not to mention anything even a bit spicier. Of course, after I stopped taking Nexium I tried keeping my diet the same, tried to do everything right - but the pain started to come back.

It wasn't the ulcer again - it was the Helicobacter Pylori infection. I was lucky my regular gastro doc wasn't in that day and his replacement ordered the test. It took 3 weeks of antibiotics in combination with pantoprazol to get rid of the bacteria and even though I still do watch what I eat - all I need now is occasional antacid. So, if you can, get tested for H. Pylori - it might be the cause for your gastritis.