I'm a 27 y/o female, and since the weekend I've been having intense, awful upper abdominal pain, starting at or just below the ribcage, to about the navel area. When you press on the navel area, I have mild to extreme discomfort (depending on when I last ate). In the morning to about mid to late afternoon, I feel fine, with only a dull ache in my stomach... The ache like you'd feel if you'd done a lot of abdominal exercise. But by mid to late afternoon, the pain intensifies.

The pain is worst after eating, where it starts 2-3 hours after eating and the pain lasts for several hours, alternating between extremely strong cramping, felt most between the navel and ribcage (but not localized to any one side of the other), to sharp pains in the same area. Nausea is also an issue, where I feel that if I just allow myself to throw up once, I'll get relief.

I'm not sure if it's related or not (back pain is a persistent problem for me), but this is all accompanied by back pain, mid to lower back, which is dull throbbing all day, and sharp cramping pain when I'm having a flare up.

I'm not really sure what to do... I've taken Tumms and Pepto with no relief whatsoever. I'm terrified to eat anything. The dull pain when not eating in the stomach and back is increasingly uncomfortable, and the sharp pain in the evening is intolerable.

I've had no other major symptoms, save for one bout of diarrhea on Monday, which I think was related to stress and irritation from the cramping, more than anything else. There has been no other instance of diarrhea after that, and the feelings of pain I have are very certainly not issues of that nature, as having a BM provides no relief at all, but the urge to throw up makes me feel like I would have immediate relief.

I went to the doctor, she did bloodwork and I'm awaiting the results... She seems to think it's a stomach bug, or an irritation to the lining of my stomach. I'm not so sure... This kind of cramping is so unusual for me.

I've been experiencing similar symptoms the last few days. Did you ever find out what yours was?

That sounds almost word for word like what I've been experiencing for the last week and a half. Couple that with menstrual cycle pain and I'm ready to pull my hair out. I'm also very tired. I've even tried an at home UTI test and my leukocytes were through the roof.
If anyone knows what this is let me know.

My daughter is having exact same trouble and is only 14. No fever. Not sure what it is, she is also very fatigued and has gas. If anyone has any clue to what these symptoms might mean I would be most grateful to hear from you. Thanks!

This may or may not be helpful. You may want to look into food allergies or celiac disease (where you can't eat gluten). They are more common than people think, because no one gets tested. The bad part is that the tests cost about $250 or so, and I don't think insurance pays for it. There are a lot of allergies and celiac disease in my husband's family and I think my husband needs to get tested, but we can't afford it right now. I hope this helps!

Im 22/f and have had the same problems. About two years ago I had it so bad my doctor thought it may be appendicitis so I spent two days in the hospital doing every test imaginable. The sharp pain in my upper abdomen was so bad I was crying non stop and they had to give me morphine for the pain. I was extremely naseous but wasn't throwing up or didn't have diarrhea, which seems weird. After 2 days and every test nothing came back positive. I didn't have appendicitis or any of the other 100 things they tested for. Infact they didnt know what it was but just suspected it was some kind of stomach bacteria or infection.
So after 4 or 5 days and lots of medical bills later everything went away and i was fine. But as always its better to be safe than sorry.

I started feeling this way a few days ago again but not as severe. I'm trying to take it really easy on my stomach, I really can only eat soup, etc right now. From my experience before I think I may have some kind of stomach bacteria or food poisoning again. So we'll see, I'm going to give it a couple more days.
GIve your stomach a rest and eat only really light things that are easy on it...

HI- My husband and daughter have been having the same symptoms my husband on and off for 12 days,and my daughter just started today,and as with you know one seems to know what the problem is.I was just wondering if it ever returned,and did you find out what is was?
Thank you

Hi - I've been having similar symptoms for the last 18 months - obviously not continuously! - just in the evenings... No help from the doctors - they have no idea how to help.
I think it is caused by excessive stomach gas - it certainly helps to belch or pass gas... I think it is related to irregular eating habits - skipping breakfast, lunch, etc. I have found that a hot water bottle held against my belly helps to ease the pain. Also I get limited relief from taking Simeticone - an over-the-counter drug (Windeze in the UK).
Does anyone else have any ideas on the cause or treatments?

I have been having some of the similar symptoms you all are describing. I have had bouts on and off for the last couple of years but the last couple of months have been worse. The doctor has put me on some pretty strong GERD drugs which seem to be helping and have been changing my diet to avoid any high acid things and it seems to be helping... though I'm not 100% sure the GERD diagnosis is right (I have no real symptoms of heart burn... it's all pain and nausea right underneath my ribcage) I think we are on the right track! Hope that helps.

I have been experiencing the exact same thing for 6 months. Pain (crampy usually) under ribs and above bellyt button always in the centre, worse at night and after eating. Can last for 5 hours. I am trying to figure out if it is related to foods (fat, meat, wheat, etc..) but it is really hard to measure. I also find that I am starting to lose my appetite because I dont know what to eat. I am ok for breakfast and lunch. Generally it is only dinner that stays with me for hours!! I cannot lie slumped on couch at night or sit at the table for very long without feeling really uncomfortable. The pain is not really intense, more gnawing and annoying but sometimes cramping. I have never been 'regular' but this does not seem to help anyway. Sometimes releasing gas helps a little. I have not tried antacids. I have been on acid reducing medication but only for a week and then it didnt seem to help any. I have had an ultrasound (abdominal) done and all good there. I keep reading everything I can find (which is probably not the best thing to do) so far I have found it could be; functional dyspepsia, non-ulcer dyspepsia, ulcer (but no h pylori - had that checked), IBS, indigestion or perimenopause ( I am 38) and everything much worse which I am trying to avoid the info for. I am really starting to get paranoid. It is not getting any better it is just continuous. Perhaps becuase I am so aware of it now I am questioning everything I feel.

Hey guys,

You are showing classic signs of an H-Pylori infection, otherwise known as gastritis.

I had it. It is diagnosed with a simple breath test and treated with a course of "triple treatment" (three kinds of antibiotics at once).

The quicker you go to get diagnosed the better - to my understanding it is the leading cause of stomach ulcers.

Kind regards,

M

I have had sharp stomach pain like once a day usually in the late afternoon or evening. It's been like that for two or three weeks but the pain only lasts about 20 minutes or so. I am 15 and I run so I'm in good shape other than this. It's strange but I find that drinking vernors helps the pain. After my stomach stops hurting It feels like there is a lot of gas in my lower stomach or intestine. I have no idea what it is but any help would be appreciated.

I too have had the same pain it began approximately a month ago the pain is just below the breat bone sometimes on the right and at times the left one time severly in the middle. It intesifys after eating and is accompanied by a severe belching attack. At times it is severe and others it is mild. It is less painful during the day and worse at night. I am nauseated, losing weight and I have hot/ cold spells. I have had gallbladder tests, a cat scan and an upper GI and all appears ok. I am seriosly stressed out about this. No you are not alone. Any suggestions anyone?

I have been having the exact symptoms since December. I have had every test you can imagine, including Nuclear Medicine tests to make sure my stomach was emptying correctly....and nothing. It is so frustrating to have this ongoing for 4 months. My GI doctor did suggest only eating solid foods until mid afternoon and just liquids at night such as Ensure, Boost, Protein Shakes...etc. and that does allow for some comfort on some days. If you find any answers please let me know.

Are u guys able to do any exercise while having this problem? These similar symptoms just accured the beginning of this week, what do you guys suggest to do?