Hi. I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. What are my treatment options? Are there any general measures I can take?

Hi. I was diagnosed with mononucleosis too. Well, there is no specific therapy to treat mononucleosis. Antibiotics are not effective against mononucleosis. I heard some people diagnosed with mono and treated with Principen or Amoxil have developed rash. Sometimes, corticosteroid meds, such as prednisone are prescribed, to ease certain symptoms of mono, such as swelling of throat. There are some general measures you can do. It is recommended to drink a lot of fluids and to get more rest. You should also avoid alcohol. There are nonprescription and prescription meds for treatment of mononucleosis. Nonprescription meds include acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Prescription meds are oral prednisone and antibiotics in some cases.

My 22year old step-son was diagnosed with mononucleosis on Thursday afternoon and friday afternoon he left the house to go to his friend's to watch a movie and said that he would be fine because he was taking his antibiotics that the doctor gave him.

The MD who saw him told him that he would need to drink fluids and get as much rest as possible to get over this and that she wanted him to follow up with her in 2 weeks. He finally came home Saturday morning at 4am!! Is it possible that he will get sicker by not following what he was told? Does the amoxicillin really help that much? Please email me at _[removed]_....I really need to know what to do!!!