Hi. I had mono. I know this disease can be easily spread. Can I contract mono twice?

Hi. You can get mono only once in your life. It is not a serious illness. However, the virus continues living in your body. Most people have been exposed to Epstein-Barr virus, which causes mononucleosis. They have developed antibodies and become immune. So, you can`t contract mono twice. My sister had mono. She said mono is often called the kissing disease. This is partly true. The virus is spread through saliva. Not only kissing, but coughing and sneezing, even sharing a glass or food can spread the virus.

Yes you can get mono twice. Though there is only about a two percent risk for a second contraction of the infection.

yes you can get it twice... there are around five strains of the virus. I had it my senior year of high school and was barely tired or sick, I now have it again 3 years later however much worse, I have had severe fatigue, a sore throat that lasted a week where I couldn't eat because it was so swollen, and now i am constantly nauseas. So YES you CAN get it more then once. I also know a few people who have had it multiply times.

I had contracted Mono in my grade 10 year of Highschool.
I am now a fourth year University student, and have somehow managed to contract Mono once more.
This has been varified by Doctors who have administered blood tests.
I was told that this occurence is very rare.
However, it CAN occur--unfortunately :-(
I hope that this helps...

I had Mono at 29, 2 months after I gave birth to my daughter. My Dr thinks it was from a weak immune system. It took me months to feel better again. My Dr said I can have flare ups from time to time. I am starting to feel sick again with a horrible sore throat, fever and chills. I am going to call my Dr. today. I don't want to take any chances since my case last time was sever. We will see what he says.....

I just found out I got mono after doc thought it was staph. It sucks I couldn't eat for 4 days while he thought it was strep because it hurt so much to swallow. He now has given me steroids for the throat and pain killers so I can sleep at night and eat food. I have a high tolerance for pain but the throat is horribly horrible.

I have had mono quite a few times in my life, and I feel like I have it again....I went to the doctors last week and saw the emergency doctor but she said that I had strep throat and put me on antibiotics, I finished the medicine and I still have a sore throat and chills, and I am really tired.

Hi there, what specific blood test did your doc do to find out you had it again? My doctor told me that there is no way for him to tell me if I have mono again. Only that one of the antibodies were high. They have been testing me for everything under the sun. I'm extremely fatigue with sore throats ~ been sick for 9 weeks. The first time I had it I was down for six months. Any advice you can give me would greatly be appreciated :) and I hope you feel better soon, I know how bad it feels.

I have had Mono every year since the 8th grade. So and no mater if it is flared up or not i will always test positive for a mono test. So i know it is possible to get it more than one time.

request what is called " Z-pac" its what i take every time i get mono and it clears it up within the day or tops two. But it is a steroid so you have to slowly take yourself down after you hae taken it dont ever just stop.

Z pacs are concentrated doses of penicillin or slightly stronger antibiotics. If you truly have mono, you can't take antibiotics or your body will react with a nasty rash and possibly hives. The only thing you can do is sleep a lot and take steroids for the pain, but definitely don't ask for a z pac

Z-pac is definitely a potent antibiotic used to treat only specific, active BACTERIAL infections.  It is not effective at fighting mono.

Mono is a term used in reference to the Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) which an anti-bacterial agent (such as the Z-pac) cannot effectively treat.  In fact, there is NO CURE for EBV/mono; once you have it, you will have it for life.  It is possible, particularly in immuno-compromised individuals, to have flare ups of an active infection.  These flare ups will manifest as your typical symptoms including the tell-tale sign of splenomegaly (enlarged spleen).In regards to laboratory tests, there is not a simple test that can be given to diagnose mono.  Rather the lab will test the blood for the presence of EBV antibodies.  Which, of course, if you have already contracted EBV, then you will always have the antibodies.  Furthermore, most adults have had EBV at some point in their life whether they knew it or not.To the girl who says she gets mono "every year since the 8th grade", you need a new doctor.  Antibiotics are NOT effective for mono or ANY other type of virus and should not be taken haphazardly.  That is irresponsible prescribing practices.  You are not only incapacitating your bodies natural defense capabilities but practices like these result in the evolution of some bacterias to change in such a way to be immune to antibiotics.  This is how "super bugs" are created.FYI:  The cell walls of bacteria are typically easy to penetrate by antibiotics and subsequently die.  Viruses, on the other hand, are encased in a hard shell-like membrane that is typically impenetrable.  They are unable to replicate (reproduce) on their own so eventually die when they "run their course."  Their are a few exceptions where a virus, like EBV and HIV, can hijack our own cells and use to make more of the virus (instead of reproducing more of it's own kind).  This is the primary reason that HIV is so difficult to combat because we would have to attack our own cells to kill the virus.

Hi! I had mono badly about 4 months ago and I am going back to the doctor today because I have all of the same symptoms. I think that I did not get completely rid of it and now it's coming back worse. I was of school for like a month! And I think mono is kinda serous in some cases because your spleen is sowllen so if you get hit in the stomach or any thing it could well, basically exploed and you could die. But if you have mono just don't get punched in the stomach or anything!

Help :( I was diagnosed with mono a couple months ago and I think im having a flare up. Ever since I started track I have been completely exhausted. And for the last two days I've had a sore throat. I looked earlier and I saw that my tonsils were starting to swell and get puss pockets on them. I was wondering if it is a flare up? And does it still have the affects of actual mono(losing weight, fatigue ect.)? How do you treat it?