Good day friends,

My dad has some problems with his dog. He was acting strange, he was, like crazy. He told me that he was never like that before.

After three days, he took him to the vet.

And, vet told my dad that his dog needs to stay in the clinic for a while, because he needs to do some tests and analysis.

Today, his vet called him and told him that his dog has epilepsy.

I was wondering, can you suggest treatment options for senior dog diagnosed with epilepsy?

His dog is 10 years old, and this is the first time that he has some big health issue.  

Hey there.

Well, in older dogs, it can be really serious. About the treatment, I think that it should be long term treatment.

Especially for dogs, over seven years of age, epilepsy can be caused by brain tumors, meningitis, even vascular events, who are similar to strokes :/

Other problems, such as liver failure, toxins, some metabolic disorders, also can cause epilepsy.

That is why treatment should be long – term, and before treatment, I think that in this case is recommended blood test, urine test, X – rays, blood pressure…

Sometimes you need to leave your dog in the clinic, sometimes that is the only way to treat him…

Hey there.

I am really sorry to hear this. I know that many vets will recommend you long – term anti – seizure medications and antibiotics, such as phenobarbital, gabapentin, potassium bromide, etc. But, these medications have some potential side – effects, and you should know about it.

For example, they can affect your dog liver problems, your dog can gain some weight, etc.

I am saying that you need to be very careful when it comes to this.

For senior dogs, treatments are usually with medications, because with dogs in this age you can never know, because they are highly risk animal.

Hello. Look, this condition can be very serious for senior dog. I am really sorry that your dad has those problems. I am aware that this is very difficult, and that sometimes, you think that you won’t be able to get through this. It is very important for him to tell his vet to give some therapy, which include meds, for his dog. This is the only way. Maybe you are against meds and those kind of treatments, I believe that for older dogs this is the only way. You should do some other analysis as well, because epilepsy could be affected with some other, more serious diseases.

Hey friend lovers. Epilepsy in senior dog can be caused by all sorts of health conditions. Sometimes, it looks like epilepsy, but sometimes it is something completely different. But, if the dog was diagnosed with epilepsy, it can be really confusing for pet owner because sometimes this dog can act insane. And, the worst thing is that you don’t know how to act. Trust me, I know what I am talking about, because my dog was diagnosed with epilepsy without showing any symptoms. He was 11 years old. He passed away three months after diagnosis. I hope your dad's dog won't have the same fate.