Hello, good people. My kid has been experiencing some headaches and lack of concentration. He is also sensing some tingling in his limbs. I think that doctor suspects on multiple sclerosis. I would like to know what physical exam for MS looks like. Can anyone help me with some more info?

Hi, there. You don’t need to be afraid of this exam. It is important to be done. It has two main parts. The first part examines movement and coordination, vision, reflexes, balance and sensation. Another part refers to emotional condition and mental ability. The first part is in fact investigating the function of 12 cranial nerves. Reflexes and muscle strength will also be examined. I hope that everything will be all right with your kid. Bye!

Hello, guys. I would agree that physical exam is important for diagnosing MS. However, sometimes it is not enough. Then, you will go for additional tests. One of them is MRI. MRI is an imaging technique that uses magnetic field. It is a safe procedure and has an excellent power in visualization. It is great for viewing the plaques. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, good people. Diagnosing a disease like MS is can be difficult. Physical examination is only a start. It gives a basis to a diagnosis. After that comes MRI. It is a great technique. Sometimes other tests can be added. Some of them are: evoked potentials and cerebrospinal liquid examination. Evoked potentials are an electro-physiological testing. It establishes whether electric impulse travels through nerves normally or slower. Cerebrospinal liquid can show if there are antibodies or cells that are characteristic for MS.