Hi, I visited a doctor few months ago about headaches, fainting and flushing. He didn’t know at first what was wrong with me, but after some tests and lot of questions about my medical history, he diagnosed me with systemic mastocytosis. What are the most important things about this disorder?

Hi, I went to a doctor because of the similar symptoms as you. He asked me about my medical history, and did a physical examination. My urine showed that histamine levels are not normal. With all those symptoms, including present skin lesions, he diagnosed me with systemic mastocytosis. This condition involves a certain type of body cell known as a mast cell, which is found in the connective tissue that surrounds the more ordered tissues and organs of the body. These cells actually mediate the skin's response to mild mechanical injury by releasing histamine, and this is how the redness of the skin appears. It is much worse if systemic mastocytosis involves the blood system, lymphatic system, liver or spleen. The prognosis in these cases is poor.