Hi, my daughter has TMJ, I would like to help her so much. Now, I even consider leting her take sedatives to try to stop TMJ. She already has a splint but it’s not of great aide. Would diazepam (valium) bring her some relief?

Hi, I have been trying for long time to find a solution for these problems. From my experience TMJ should be treated with heat & ice, soft diet, and anti-inflammatory medications. It is essential to recognize when tooth grinding is occurring and provide some methods for ceasing this activity. Generally, avoid any food that requires opening the mouth widely, such as a big hamburger. Among other medications like anti-inflammatory medications, steroids to control inflammation, muscle relaxants, such as diazepam (Valium), aid in decreasing muscle spasms. So, they provide relief from TMJ.