I have been with my wife for five years. We are currently separated but both said we still want the marriage. My wife went to the dr office for a pap test. Results came back that she tested positive for chlamydia. She question if I stepped out on her, and I told her no which is true. But she later admitted that she had doubts. Anyways I went to the dr office the next day and got tested as well. My results were negative but still took the meds just invade cause we both had active partners that cheated on the both of us before we got together. My issue is I don't think I truly trust her in this matter. When we were together I never got the indication that my wife would cheat on me. But now that we are separated and not living together it's difficult. Can someone help clear my mind on this issue. It's driving me insane!!!!!

Confusedhubbie wrote:

u cant get a false positive because there is a certain bacteria that has to be found that would cause it to test positive. u can always get a false negative but never a false positive

southernlady wrote:

Confusedhubbie wrote:

That's right. Maybe you checked in with a false negative? Chlamydia has hardly any symptoms so you both could have had it for ages? I don't know what sort of test your wife has but here (in Australia) when I go in for a pap test it is usually only for testing for cancer cells... the other smear tests (std) are mostly done on request if needed or recommended etc. But perhaps it is different where you are? Was it her routine two yearly test or did she go in randomly and specifically?... that is where your answer may lie.. in her motivation for the test. What did your wife say when you came back negative?

That she was happy cause that means she has a false positive. She was late for her pap test and she had cancer in the cervex before. She also said she never cheated but I'm struggling trusting that. I just want to understand this STD more before I make judgement.

Confusedhubbie wrote:

Well, Chlamydia is definately a sexually transmitted disease. It is a bacteria that often has hardly any obvious symptoms (maybe a slight discharge in the man) and so therefore can be carried for ages without the person knowing. This is why it is so common. It is really not that dangerous for the man but in a woman it can cause infertility as it attacks the reproductive organs causing scarring etc.

I find it intertesting that she would instantly jump to the conclusion that she had a false positive... it just doesn't work that way...and if so why take the anti-biotics? I would have been more likely to assume that you would have had a false negative if I was in her position... but I guess that is open to the individual.

Now, to what I guess you really want to know..Is there anyway that you could have been having unprotected sex with your wife for five years with her having the chlamydia, from a relationship before you, and you not gaining the disease?

I would think not. I would think that you would definately have gotten the disease in that time. It is highly communicable and so odds are...

However, Chlamydia is cured with anti-biotics (as you know) so, I guess that if you had previously had a course of broad spectrum anti-biotics you may have killed it... but I assume she had anti-biotics over that time too?... aaargh! But then that leads us to cross-over re-infection of each other? Possible...but unlikely..

Sorry for all the side points, just trying to cover all bases.

Ok. Answer. Unless you had a heavy dose of anti-biotics since the last time you were routinely sexually active with your wife (think this is grasping at straws) then I would say she contracted the disease after that time...ie. from another person.

Just my opinion but seems the most logical... does it not to you?

tartancase wrote:

Confusedhubbie wrote:

Or you could have tested false negative (think very unlikely) but now that you have both taken the anti-biotics there is no way to be sure... think is weird that she instantly said 'Yay, then I'm negative too!' ..doesn't make sense to me... just saying... sorry

I would like to thank u all for enlightening me about this disease. Everything that I have been researching about this disease still left gray areas to me. I guess my gut feelings were correct once and for all.