So to start, I have been dating my boyfriend for about a year and a half now. We have a great monogamous relationship and there have never been any issues until I found out recently, last week, that I'm positive for chlamidya! He got tested and came back positive for it as well. Not sure where it came from but my partner states he has not cheated on me. He has never given me a reason not to trust him before and he's a great guy. My last pap smear was done 11 months prior to this one I had last week and the doctor tells me I was negative for the std at that time. I asked her how it just suddenly showed up now and she tells me it would have had to be a recent infection, which would mean someone cheated here. I know I did not and I highly doubt my partner did at all. So as you can see, a stalemate. I want to believe him but science is science and isn't usually wrong. I figured it was a possibility they simply didn't detect the std last time they tested but my doctor assures me that is highly unlikely. It's also funny because at the start of August 2016, I had utis back to back and ever since still had some urinary tract issues. Never had any symptoms of chlamidya and neither has my partner. My walk in doctor says I probably contracted from a past partner or my boyfriend might have. But then that still doesn't explain why my last pap, only 11 months ago, was negative for this. Someone please help or try to explain how this is possible. I don't wanna assume my bf chested he is very sincere and never lies to me. 

Hi Guest,

A pap test DOES NOT detect STD's. 

An STD test MAY have been done at the same time however. 

Still, either or both of you may have had chlamydia for some time.  It is known as a silent infection because it often produces NO symptoms.

I wouldn't assume the BF cheated either.

I have been trying not to assume the worst especially since he is such a good guy and he has never given me a reason to doubt him before. It's just funny that when I called my doctor they said they tested for those STDs back in January and they told me that I was negative back then so I guess it is possible that they just didn't detect it. My boyfriend has never been tested for STDs before so he isn't a reliable source of how long we've had it

If they did run the tests then you likely were not infected then. Remember, NO test is 100% effective all the time.

It is also possible that your boyfriend may have been infected for years.

We can't really know for sure. It could have been someone in either of yours past.

If you love him and trust him then let it go. It happened. Now move on.

Good luck in the future.