I’m a diagnosed diabetic for one year now and I try as much as I can to consume low-sugar food and keep my blood sugar in limits. I don’t know much about “living with diabetes”. My good friend who is also diabetic for 5 years has told me that composing a list of all suitable low-sugar products will make my shopping a lot easier. I have tried different types of products - from a low-sugar chocolate to sugar-free starlight mints. But there is one problem - with time list gets smaller and smaller because I need a something new and I’m afraid to use some products on which I don’t understand complex chemical structure.
Because I’m new “in business” – I don’t know to interpret all sugar data on some low-sugar groceries. One time I bought a sugar-free product and even then it was some sugar-alchol levels on it. I cannot understand how sugar-FREE product can have any sugar in it? Is there a difference between sugar and sugar alchol?

I can give you a few useful informations. When you consume a sugar-free or low-sugar product you keep your blood sugar level and your insulin level in limits. But, there are also sugars (not like normal table sugar-sucrose) with changed chemical structure, which will not cause a big insulin peak. One of them is a sugar alcohol. Sugar in corn syrup, maltose, after hydrogenation, is changed into a maltitol-alcohol. Maltitol can be used as a sweetener without any fear of normal sugar sidefects. Just go for it!
One more advice! You don’t have to buy products with alcohol-sugar already in them because they are usually very expensive. Instead of that -try using sugar-alcohol based artificial sweeteners like Splenda. It will be much more cheaper and practical.

My mother is taking a milk for Diabetics called Glucerna and it contains 7g of sugar alcohols. She is worry because she dont know what that is. can you please give me some information in reference to sugar alcohol? Thank you.

would like to know the difference between sugar and sugar alcohol in products - am counting carbs and some things have sugar in them and some only have sugar alcohol

I 'am newly diagnosed with diabetes recently 2 months ago although my mom has been diabetic for over 35 years. I drink unsweeted Soy Milk by Silk 1 gram of sugar per cup , Sara lee bread wheat 1 gram per 2 slice of bread, kashi has a 7 grains barley cereal only 3 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup. Turkey has no sugar and very low calories 100 - 120. I found eating certain food with sugar alcohol gave me a headache. Now I only eat small portion of natural sugar (fruits). It is all about portion of food you consume. Type 2 diabetes is curable with proper dieting and excising. I recently visited the doctor office it is controlled and may not need medication. I do not want to live my life on medications that can cause serious side effects. Maybe this information is helpful to someone.

I checked.....and the answer is:.......No isn't considered sugar OR alchohol!