I'm totally confused. After my doctor diagnosed with me diabetes, I have been searching for as much information as possible. I have elevated blood sugar, which is hyperglycemia in the medical term. Also, I read about diabetic ketoacidosis, which sounds like a horrible thing and it says that hyperglycemia causes ketoacidosis. So what is the difference between the two? I am desperate. Please advise.

Hello, there are many things to learn about when you become diabetic.  Hyperglycemia is basically having blood sugars that are above normal. Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a condition that leads to a diabetic coma or death.  This is nothing to take lightly, obviously.  When glucose isn't taken in by cells, your body has to get energy from somewhere.  Your body will start burning fat to get this energy.  Ketones form and build up in your bloodstream, spilling into your urine.  This is a warning sign that insulin is not present in your body and it's a warning sign that you will be having a diabetic emergency.