Hi, I am 12 years old and I have a question about diabetes.  My grandma says she has diabetes and that it is because she ate too much sugar.  She tells me not to eat too much candy or I will get diabetic.  Is this really true?  I think she just tells me that because she doesn't want me eating too much candy. 

Your grandmother is partly correct in saying that sugar caused her diabetes.  Overloading the body with sugar or things made of white flour can tax the pancreas, the organ that produces insulin.  Insulin helps the carbohydrates (sugar and white flour products, for examples) to enter our bodies' cells to feed them. However, if we abuse our bodies over many,  many years it can overwork our pancreas and makes it work harder to put out enough insulin to take care of all the carbohydrates we put in our bodies.  Even though being overweight and genetics play a part in developing diabetes, if we can eat more healthy by eating more fruits and vegetables, leaner cuts of meat, and exercise regularly, we can keep from getting diabetes or keep it away longer.

Haha!  My grandma used to say that too!  And that when she lost a lot of weight, she said the all the weight was water!  Too funny!  Gotta love our grandmas!  I was wondering, if my grandma is diabetic, that means I will be too?  I am an athlete and work out quite a bit and drink protein supplements to bulk up.  Will I still be at risk for diabetes?  My parents are not diabetic or anyone else in my family so maybe my risk will be less I think.  I always thought people that weigh over 300 pounds would be the ones that get diabetes.  Am I wrong about that?