Hi! My mum has just come from her doctor. He said that she probably has diabetes. Now I'm worried. I know that if it's true she should not eat any sweets any more. But she likes them a lot. I really don't know how she can be on strict diet. Does anybody tell me how much sugar should a diabetic consume?

Well, life with diabetes can be really difficult, but it's not the worst thing that can happen to somebody. To be on strict diet it's hard but if you need to, you will accustom to everything. Just a year ago I could not imagine life without sweets but now I don't really want them. It's better for your mother to use a sugar substitute.

Hallo,
Diabetes is very complicated condition that cannot be treated but it can be managed. People with diabetes can live very long if they pay good attention on what they eat and if they take their medication on time. Because people with diabetes have a natural tendency towards higher blood glucose levels, it is important for your mother to limit her carbohydrate intake. The thing is that she must pay more attention to intake of carbs then on sugar intake. However she must know that there are sweeteners that she can use and there is a whole pallet of products just for diabetics. So I don’t think that she will lack of sweets but just will change the brand.