What is sugar alchol and does it affect people with HBP

Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates that do affect blood sugar but not as much as sugar does. Their digestion demands little or no insulin but they will still produce some glucose for the blood. Some sugar alcohols raise blood levels a little bit while others don’t.

Sugar alcohols do contain calories, about 1,5-3 per gram. Some of the sugar alcohol I know of are mannitol, xylitol, isomalt and sorbitol. They are used in those “sugar-free” products. You can always run into one of them at the back labels of “sugar-free” products. The biggest problem with these sugar alcohols is that if taken in big amounts, they cause diarrhea, gas and bloating.

If diabetics are allowed to have them then people with high blood pressure could have them as well. I suppose. However, it is the best to use them in moderation.