Hello! I visited a dermatologist because of this mole looking growth on my face and she performed a biopsy that determined that I have basal cell carcinoma. Luckily, this is not one of the worst cancers, which is sort of relief but I am still scared. I am interested what surgery options there are for this sort of cancer, and if the surgery is necessary. Thank you!

Hello! Even though basal cell carcinoma doesn’t metastasize, it can destroy the surrounding tissue or damage nearby organs, so the treatment should be conducted. A dermatologist may perform electrodesiccation and curettage. In this procedure the surface of the skin cancer is removed and the base of the skin cancer is burned or "cauterized" with an electric needle. After this, there is often no need for further treatment. Then a method called Simple surgical excision can be performed. In this procedure, the skin cancer is cut out and the skin sewn together using dermatologic cosmetic surgical techniques. In this case, the specimen is examined under a microscope after the procedure to determine that all the skin cancer has been removed. There are also methods like cryosurgery, radiation therapy, and laser surgery that are used in specific circumstances. However, I am sure that your dermatologist will tell you more and help you decide which of the options is best for you. Good luck!

Hello! A few months ago I had a biopsy done by a dermatologist and found out that I have basal carsinoma on my nose. What I can see, it is about the size of the tip of a marker pen. My dermatologist referred me to a Mohs Surgeon. I have not had a consultation with him but have an appoitment to have this procedure done for removal. The estimated cost is $3000-$6000 they say. With poor insurance, do you recommend this procedure over others? What other surgical procedures would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

With well over a half million people a year getting Basal Cell skin cancer and the nose being one of the most frequent areas affected, it is usually desirable to have it removed with the most minimal visual results. That said, MOHS surgery would be the way to go. However in the case of the above poster, having such a small spot and getting it caught early, you may find a less expensive method. Surgical excision would be an option in such cases. This will leave a scar but maybe one small enough that you can live with.

I've had Basal Cell carcinoma three times, each time on my nose. The first time I had it removed surgically and the scar wasn't very noticeable. The other two times I got MOHS surgery with mixed results. After the first MOHS surgery the skin patch that was used shrunk considerably and was very noticeable. You can see a picture of that MOHS surgery results here
http://www.basalcellmohs.com/

The most recent MOHS surgery had much better results and took care of the visual aspect left from the first time. It was also a much more complicated surgery involving a cosmetic procedure known as a forehead flap. I've shared the experience and show lots of pictures of the recovery process at http://www.basalcellmohs.com/mohs/gallery_index.html

I have three basal cell carcinomas on my back which are at least six inches apart. Why won't the dermatologist take remove these all at one time. They claim insurance won't pay and there is more danger of infection.