I just had a biopsy for a possible melanoma on my arm, my daughter and sister also have had melanomas. How invasive would surgery be on an arm?

The surgical treatment for a melanoma lesion is wide excision of the area. This means you will be having surgery to cut away the cancer as well as all the tissue around it. Surgeons call the surrounding tissue the margin. The size of the margin that needs to be removed depends on the thickness of the tumor. It is common with Melanoma that a wide margin of tissue is taken out to try to prevent this cancer from coming back.

Hi there,
You have to know that melanoma is usually treated with surgery and I think that there are several types of surgical procedures for removal of melanoma. I think that doctor first needs to do the biopsy of the melanoma, which some also call a surgical procedure. If the melanoma is small enough there is a chance that your doctor might remove it with the biopsy procedure and no invasive further procedure is necessary. There is also skin graft surgery which can be used to remove the melanoma from your arm. As you can see there are several types of surgeries for this condition. Which one will your doctor use?

All the best,
Danella