Hi, my husband had car accident last week and he was injured very badly. He was transferred to the hospital where he had two operations and damage of thyroid gland was found. I am not so afraid because of operations he had but I am worrying as I don’t know what damaged thyroid may cause?

Hi, my very good friend also had injury of thyroid gland. It caused lower production of thyroid hormones and symptoms which are specific for hypothyroidism. Symptoms also depend on the fact how much this gland is damaged but I guess he will get therapy which will cover lack of hormones caused by injury.

There are several things that can make many complications when it comes to thyroid gland. How sever is the injury of the thyroid? Did your doctor told you anything about hormone secretion of the thyroid gland. The thing that might happen to your husband is that he will have to take out his thyroid gland. Now the thing is that thyroid hormone is very important but you can manage your life with hormone replacement therapy if you get your thyroid out. Many people use the hormone replacement therapy and live normal lives. I think your husband should not worry about this too much and try to focus on his full recovery from his car accident.