Hello! I have been on suboxone for revealing side effects of opioid withdrawal, but what whitdrawal effects can I experience when getting off suboxone? Thx!

Hello! All of this stuff will your doctor tell you, the one who prescribed you suboxone and who was leading you through your treatment. Doctors usually try you don’t experience any withdrawal symptoms. They slowly taper the suboxone dose, so that you don’t have to go through hell. In case you experience any of the uncomfortable symptoms or cravings, the doc will change your dose. Congratulations on coming this far! And good luck in the future!

I stopped taking suboxone cold turkey 2 weeks ago and am still have withdrawals. Definitely worse than opiate withdrawal. If you take suboxone make sure you wean yourself off over at least 1 month. It has such a long half life that you won't feel the withdrawals for maybe even a week after last dose but when you start the withdrawal it is torture. Insomnia, restlessness, lethargy, anxiety. You totally can't function. I took it for 1 year at the highest dose(28 mg). I thought I could handle the wd's because I had several times with opiates. But it doesn't only last a couple days like opiate wd's. Good Luck.

hey all!! i have been dealing with the back and forth torture of getting of dope then getting clean with suboxone.... on and off for several months. when i first decided to get clean it was back in september of 07 .... i had a 5 bag a day habbit. i got off it by findin a doctor who prescribed me 56 frikkin subs, needless to say i got addicted to them( honestly trading one addiction for another) ..... but i finally got my sh*t together ..... i haven't used dope for about a month and am now off of suboxones 5 days from a half milligram habbit. i started out by takin 16 mgs a day and tapered myself sloWLY!!! honestly if anyone is out there thinking about going on suboxones.... give it ALOT OF THOUGHT.... you yourself have to be ready to admit to yourself that you will be ok.... and if your on dope get enough subox to just get through the detox from dope.... then go completly off.... ITS A frikkin HELL CYCLE! i hope i helped someone... i wish someone had told me i would have detox from suboxone:( KEEP WIT IT ALL

I was a heavy heroin user for many years. My bf and I could do about a brick in two days easy. I started suboxone and I dont think the withdrawls from suboxone are anything close to what I experienced when I was getting off herion (which is why I was on it for 3 years)
Once you get onto the suboxone, take your time with it. If you are with a dr that is rushing you to get off, switch dr's. Suboxone is better than being on the herion and safter!
Get adjusted and then when you're ready wein down little by little. After a while you'll be back to your boring self, LOL jk
Youll be fine, best of luck!

Having had a 6-10 day a bag a habit of heroin p/day and prior to that building the addiction with various opiates like #120 10/500 Lortab monthly prescription and filling in the gaps with whatever I could find, then being put on 20 mg. methadone p.o. for chronic pain, then switching to 12mg. Dilaudid p.o. daily, but I shot the Dilaudid and abused it terribly telling doctors I wanted Dilaudid instead because I knew they were injectable-i.v. push-i went back to heroin 6-10 bags p/day. I took the suboxone for about a 3 week period beginning on 24 mg. p/day then going down to 4 mg/p/day for 5 days-then i had no cravings and was able to function pretty normally-even with the depression that opiates creates after having been on them for a 6 month period(the opiates in general that is)I was OK-I have even detoxed on a 30 pill 8 mg. supply successfully without withdrawl symptoms. The P.AW.S.(post acute withdrawl syndrome)stunk, but it passed after about a month and it was worth going on the suboxone, paying the doctor bill and for the pills in cash. I say that giving suboxone is wortha try. Safer ,legally and healthwise as well. Wait until you are pretty sick-at least 24 hours to initiate the treatment of suboxone or it will make you sicker. after you are "dope sick" the suboxone will work. after the 5 days or so of what thewithdrawll from the opiates would take-the suboxone will get you through it pain free! I guarantee it! I have 4 8mg. pills left and I will take 4 mg. only every other day then maybe 2mg. and 2mg. again. See what your body needs specifically(and you will know)and follow what your body tells you. I hope this helps you! I'll tell you how I did this time. I'm sure I'll be fine. -Sincerely, C.K. p.s.-i highly recommend taking your whole suboxone dose at once when waking n the mornng-trust me your body feels the dose better all at once and it makes it far easier!

Wow i thought i was the onlyone going thru hell. Thanks awhole bunch!!!

I was taking oxycodone everyday for a little over a year. I started taking saboxone 3 months ago to stay off the other stuff, but now I think i'm addicted to this.I haven't taken saboxone in 3 days and i feel like sh*t. I keep getting these anxiety attcks and just don't want to do anything. Will it ever stio???

I was abusing morphine and fentanyl for about a year after I got in a horrible car wreck. I got a prescription for pain patches and hydromorphone, but then I started to abuse patches by sucking on them, and hydro's by snorting them and causing them to instant release. After a year, my doc wouldn't give me patches anymore and started weening me off the pills and I was having such terrible withdrawls I didn't know what to do. I was shaking, cold sweats, diharrea, no appetite, couldn't sleep...I literally thought I was dying.
I went to an addiction therapist and he prescribed me 12-16mg of suboxone daily for a couple moths, and then we began to ween down about 2 mg's a month. When I finally got down to the small 2mg tablets I stayed at 2mg daily for a few months, then I would skip days....take suboxone monday and tuesday, skip wed, take thurs,fri, skip sat etc. I then went to every other day for a few weeks and eventually every third and fourth day to once a week. ****It is very hard to follow the doctor's plan of weening off, when you see all those pills you just want to take them to get high----but be strong it is worth it in the end plus suboxone isnt the same euphoric high as other opiates. STAY STRONG AND STICK TO PLAN---YOU CAN GET OFF THIS STUFF!!!****I was also continually seeing my addiction therapist and attending NA meetings every once and while. After I totally quit my suboxone, I went on a drug that blocks opiate receptors so if I ever took anything I wasn't supposed to, I wouldnt feel anything.
I didn't really notice any physical withdrawls from coming off of the suboxone except every now and again I would have a hot flash. Now mentally, thats a different problem. After a couple weeks of not having them I began to have opiate cravings, I began having anxiety about work, and normal everyday activities. I also had some trouble sleeping (mostly from a racing mind and the anxiety and constant worrying). I also had trouble organizing my thoughts and seemed almost AD/HD (which I never had a history of before the accident and addiction). I just kept fighting through it for a couple months, got prescribed some Zoloft, and very small dose of Klonopin (for anxiety). After a month or two it gets a lot better, I promise. After about 3or4 months I was able to stop taking every medication and was pretty much normal.
This was about a year ago when I got off the subs...and I've slipped up twice and taken some lortabs but I never got bad off because I know the toll it takes on me, my family, my friends, etc. from being an addict. Both times I slipped up, I called my old therapist and he talked me through it and helped me realize why it is a terrible idea to take opiates and how my life will suffer if I get addicted to them again. I may slip up again in the future....but I will stay strong.
No one will get off of opiates unless they are fully committed and ready to come off the opiates. For me, it came to that point when I was stealing money from my wife's dresser to buy an oxy so I wouldnt get sick that day. Then I nearly lost my job from not going because I was sick from withdrawls and sometimes I wouldn't go if I had to go meet people to buy pills etc. Some people need to hit a lot lower bottom before they will get help, but feeling like a piece of human garbage for stealing money from my wife, and stealing my grandmas cancer medicine was enough for me to get help and commit myself to coming off the junk. Good luck all, I hope suboxone and counselling works for you as well.

YES I CAN RELATE. FOR ME I WAS ADDICTED TO VICODINE, DILUDID, GETTING STUCK BY MY DOCTOR 3TIMES A WEEK WITH DEMOROL! AND FENT. PATCHES. MY ROCKBOTTOM CAME WHEN IT WAS MY SON'S BDAY AND I DECIDED TO CALL IN MY OWN PRESCRIPTION OF VICODINE.......MIND U MY 12 YR OLD SON AT THAT TIME WAS SMARTER THAN ME!! HE WARNED ME AND SAID" MAMA U DON'T NEED IT" BUT I DIDN'T LISTEN !! I TOLD HIM IMA BE OK ...THIS WILL BE MY ONLY AND LAST TIME....ON TOP OF BURROWING HIS BDAY MONEY TO BUY THE STUFF!! WELL, HAVE U 2 KNOW....WHEN I WENT TO PICK IT UP.....THEY STALLED ME.............THEN ......U KNOW IT!! FIVE COP CARS BLOCKED ME IN THE DRIVE THROUGH! MY DAUGHTER WAS WITH ME AND MY SON 2....DON'T 4 GET THIS IS HIS BDAY!! WHEN I SAW MY KIDS SCREAM WITH ALL THAT SCARy LOOK N THEIR EYES BEGGING THE COPS 2 NOT TAKE THEIR MOM TO JAIL....WHEW! I'M CRYING NOW THINKING ABOUT IT!! THAT WAS MY WAKE UP CALL. ! I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THAT FOR MY BABIES! BY THE GRACE OF. GOD..MY HIGHER POWER! I MADE OUT FINE!! I CHECKED MYSELF INTO REHAB! DETOXED FOR 3 WEEKS. MY ADDICTION WAS 16 YRS ALSO! THEN DID 90 DAYS IN A LONGER TERMED FACILITY!........THEY PUT ME ON SUBS 4 ONE YR.... I GOT TIRED OF IT... AS IT BECAME ANOTHER ADDICTION! AND VERY COSTLY @ THAT! WHEN I GOT TO THE END OF MY YR....I WENT COLD TURKEY! I went through ANXIETY BIG TIME...WORRIED AND DEALIND WITH THESE ALL OF A SUDDEN NORMAL FEELINGS IN LIFE! I CONTROLED THE DIARREAH WITH TAKING 2 IMMODIUMS. A DAY FOR 5 DAYS AND ALSO DRAMAMINE....WITH 1 BENEDRYL TO TAKE THE EDGE OFF AS IT DID HELP ME SLEEP! NOW I'M A LITTLE BETTER BUT STILL HAVE A LONG ROAD 2 GO....BUT I RATHER GO THROUGH THIS PAIN THEN TO KEEP PUTTING MY KIDS THROUGH IT!! I'M NOT GIVING UP AND I ALSO LEARNED THE DR. I HAD DIDN'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MY WITHDRAWALS! I CALLED HIM UP SCREAMING BECAUSE I WAS CRYING AND FEVER AND CHILLS AND PANIC ATTACKS.....DO U THINK HE CALLED ME BACK..... NOPE BUT IF I WANTED TO SCHEDULE THAT COSTLY APPT. HE WOULD HAVE TALKED THEN.... THAT WAS WHEN I SUFFERED THROUGH IT AND GUESS WHO MY RELIEVER WAS........THAT'S RIGHT...GOD. CUZ HE BECAME THE ONLY ONE I COULD CALL ON !! I GOT THROUGH IT!...REMEMBER. ONE DAY @ A TIME! NOW I GO TO NA MEETINGS AND GO TO SCHOOLS TO TALK WITH TEENAGERS FACING ADDICTION!! JUST DON'T GIVE UP ON URSELF!! WE ARE SURVIVORS BECAUSE WE'VE GONE THROUGH IT ALL TO BE WHERE WE ARE NOW!! HOPE THIS HELPS ! KEEP UR HEAD UP! I WILL BE PRAYING FOR UR STRENGTH AS WELL THE CONTINUING OF MY OWN!! ;-)

So, I've been taking suboxone for 1 1/2 now (the first 6 months I took it illegally, to aid with my withdrawals from heroin--then got into a program). I started at 8mg, and had few problems tapering down to 2mg over a few months. I've been maintained at 2mg for over a year now, and function very well. Recently, I lost a few pills, and found my self incredibly sick (chills, sneezing, aches, loss of motivation etc.) So I decided that since I went through the bulk of the withdrawal, that I would just keep up with it, and get off the suboxone. After 2 1/2 days, I couldn't deal with the pain and was worried that I would find heroin to relieve the pain---I was able to refill my suboxone, and tried to only take 1mg. That didn't do it, and I had to resume my 2mg/day routine. How the hell am I going to get off of this!!!!????The fear of relapsing because I lose a pill scares the sh*t out of me!

I was in the same boat as you. I entered a long term treatment center and detoxed there. Same withdrawals there though. The worst day will be day three. You will fell better in abou two weeks. The worst will be 6-7 days at most. Get some sleeping pills, muscle relaxers and Immodium for your stomach. Stay positive!!!

For tapering if slowly, decrease the dosage 1/4 every two weeks. I don't know how much better that is.

Best wishes!!!

I was on Sub for about a year. was taking 8 milligrams for a while. Decided I wanted to got off a couple months ago. went from 8 to 6 mg to 4mg to 3mg to 2mg to 1 mg bout every week. It took a couple months and I was not comfortable. It was like perpetual opiate withdrawl. hardest part was getting off of 1 mg. Couldnt sleep at all. I have kicked other opiates and this one was a b***h. Much different. not too depressed but cold, clammy skin for weeks. I read that 8 mg of Sub is = to 160 mg of oxycodone. so its strong sh*t. still a major opiate. Have been off completely for 12 days now and feeling pretty good. workin out and not depressed but trouble sleeping. It can be done. Just stick it out. would rather kick vicodin of oxys then this stuff though. Pretty tough. Builds character though. I'm just happy I'm not a slave to that orange pill any longer. It's liberating. any day off of that stuff is a good day in my opinion. need any help or have questions please e mail me _[removed]_ Have suggestions that might help

I just started with sub after many years of oxy....from what I am reading here it sounds like dont stay on sub for very long and never take more than you can get by with of the sub...6mg is working good enough and I think its best to start weaning off after one month.....longer your on it harder it is to get off....anybody care to comment on this?

I just want to say thank you to all of the people who have shared their stories on here. I am not trying to find positives out of people's negatives- but it does help to hear other stories of addictions, it's like attending an N.A meeting without leaving the house. I spent nearly 30-years singing in Rock bands, all over the U.S.A, and when all of the dust settled- I was hooked on opiates (pills in general), but I fell in love with pain pills. It becomes a cycle real fast. Need pain pills, but also want xanax and herb. Never really satisfied. Half the thrill for me, as strange as it seems, was the scoring. Chasing the high around become a pastime for me and I ended up in drug court, jail ,work release, half way houses, rehab, and finally prison. I sing in a Christian Rock band now and have changed in many ways, but I messed with Suboxone and ended up hooked on those horrble tasting- little orange pills. I couldn't believe that for 10.00- I could buy a drug that made me feel good all day. It seemed to take alot of the chaos out of my life. I didn't see myself stealing or deceiving others in order to acquire Suboxone, but this past week- no suboxone's were around and in my attempt to move on with my life- I felt myself going through W.D.'s. I was never really warned about the effects that come with withdrawing off Suboxone. I believe that opiates are harder to quit cold turkey, but this has been close. We want an easy answer, a quick solution. But the truth is there isn't alot about addiction that is easy. Becoming an addict took alot longer than 4-5 days, quitting an addicton takes alot longer than getting hooked does. I have had to look at myself in the mirror and I don't like what I"m seeing, even though I have many positive areas in my life like my daughter who is 10-years old, my band at church, my future isn't necassarily bleak- but no drugs make me feel so much anxiety and panic, as well as depression, and like others have said- no energy or motivation. I wish all of you the best.