I have a sister who's 9 and she's always been a bigger built girl than my mother and I but in the last year she's had problems with her weight and she's been dieting. She has now lost the weight but not her belly and that was the biggest part that made her look big. now my mother and I are wondering if we should have her checked because her belly isnt just fat it is kinda solid and it starts right below her rib cage and extends out almost like a pregnant woman. so is it just her being a kid or could there be something wrong.

She needs to be examined by a doctor. It may be normal, but she may have a parasitic infection, build-up of fuid in her belly, etc.... it could be serious, dont take it lightly.

Well,
the thing here is that she might now have very big stomach because the eternal organs are used to the amount of the food that she has been eating. Not this is a problem that is not solvable in short amount of time. She has to maintain on the diet for long period of time, because she is very young and her body is still changing and growing. If she manages to keep the diet all together for longer period of time she will notice that her stomach will reduce even if she has no fat cells left in her stomach. I hope that she will be better and that this was helpful to both of you.
Good luck,
Karel