can you please tell me what could be the cause of a distended belly in an 18 month little girl? she is healthy, not to chubby elsewhere, is very active and happy. is it to do with diet?
thanks.

I have this same situation with my daughter who is 29 months. We are very careful as to what she eats - mostly organic - and very, very few sugars. She has regular poops so I don't believe constipation is an issue. Any thoughts on what might be the cause? She is otherwise a very healthy little girl.

i do know that it is common, and i was told not to worry.

My son went through a period of a few years with a very distended belly and we searched and searched for the solution. He was slim but always had a very large belly... not fat but almost gassy. Finally someone gave me the answer and strangely it relates to malnutrition. I was told that a diet high in carbs can result in a gassy, large belly. Much like severely malnourished children you may see on TV. My son was always a picky eater and so his diet was high in carbs. Over time we worked really hard to get him to eat more protein, more high-fiber carbs and more veggies. The distended belly that was there for years is 100% gone and he is so much healthier overall!! Hope this helps.
Clare