My daughter has has a larger belly since the day she was born. She is now 20 months old and it still hasn't went down. After bringing it to her doctor's attention, he just said it was nothing to worry about and that she would grow into it, but as I said, she still hasn't. People make comments about it all the time and I don't know what to say. I've put it out of my head until recently. She's been going through a very bad case of coonstipation that will not go away. It is soo large and seriously as hard as a rock. We have ben giving her stool softeners and a lot of prune juice and extra fiber in her diet but nothing os working and my doctor doens't seem to have any concern about it and that it is no bog deal. I'm sure if it were his child that he had to watch for 30 minutes screaming and crying trying to have a bowel movement that ends up having streaks of blood in it, it would be different. But anyway, the x-rays showed that her intestions were fins but that she had a distended belly and again, no concern was shown. I thought it was wierd for it to show up after the huge concern me and my husband have had about it. So I looked it up on the internet and found out about everything that could come along with it and am now worried. She complains about her belly hurting alot too and that could be from the constipation but it could also be from something else, right?? If you could help me with this, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Ashley Ellis

Our daughter (now 19 months) used to suffer from acute constipation and even got cuts in her anal area. It was so bad that we had to apply cortizone. We learnt by experience to avoid certain foods like apple juice, potato, protein like meat, etc. Pear Juice is an excellent natural stool softener and works miracle. Although for acute constipation like your child, Prune Juice is the best laxative you can think of. At one point we gave our daughter two ounces of Prune juice and then regularized to one ounce. It worked miracle. It was better than any stool softener. Now we don't need to give her prune juice anymore. She seems to be doing fine with pear juice. We now give her potatoes, chicken but in a limited quantity.

Hope this helps.

one thing that may help is green smoothies-- put about 60-70% fruit and 30-40% greens in your blender with some ice and water and blend. This is a very good way to get the fiber and nutrients from fruit and greens into your little one. our daughter drinks one of these every morning, and has 4-5 BMs/day. This is actually more normal than the recommended 1/day. we also feed her a lot of fruits, veggies, and whole grain snacks, and really limit any frankenfoods.

We have an 18 month old girl, and as soon as she started eating solid foods, she started getting constipated.  Sometimes she would go several days without a BM, and when she finally had one, like with your child, it was a terrible experience.  She would just scream and cry, and sometimes it would take a very long time for her to go, and when she finally did, it would be like a ball of clay--hard, dry--no wonder she was in such pain.  Our doctor and nurses seemed to think that we were overworrying first-time parents.  We  tried the Karo syrup in the bottle, pruned, prune juice (which did help some), soy formula, etc .  Finally, when the doctor realized that we weren't exaggerating, he had us give her small amounts of mineral oil for a few days, just to make it easier to get everything out, and since then, we've been putting Miralax in her juice.  For the first few months, it was a teaspoon a day.  Now, we do it every other day.  It's made all the difference in the world.  The doctor says it contains nothing harmful--she could take it for the rest of her life and it would be fine. 

People are trained to believe doctors know what the answers are. False! They are usually moneyhungry, profit driven pill pushers that have no true concern for a child's true diagnosis. The c**p they have told me and then been totally wrong got me to the point where they will not see my child unless emergency that they might be capable of helping. One time at Metro, i took my 19 month old for anlaceration from his babysitter's care, i was very upset and they seen me as a threat somehow and brought a social services employee to talk to me. Mind you this was all happening before they even had a doctor look at his laceration which required stitches in the end. 2 hours before they looked at him and he was crying the whole time and they wouldn't let us leave. Fairview E.R told me to have a seat in waiting room before even considering how bad he was. Then they started process off with my benefits card application, yes!, they were more concerned with my proof of insurance, which i work for a hospital!, than with my son's laceration and current scar on his nose from being treated too late. So if any new parentsi can help with this story, beware and read more about what actually gets done in some hospital trips and how much they bill the insured! They can basically write their own checks, that is why they are so profitable. My son has this bloated belly and his mother feeds him processed junk with NO veggies. Don't have to be a doctor to know he's constipated and over indulged in the wrong foods. Seriously, think about what i've written. And if you think you need an allergy test , be prepared to pay even if your insured.

Best Wishes for a natural healthy lifestyle!