I hope someone can help me. I have recently started dieting, during which I developed mild annorexia. This means that I wasnt eating as much as I should and become clinically underweight. For the last few months I have been doing slightly better, and eating my recommended 1800 calories a day. However, even though I have a flat stomach, I have noticed recently that my stomach becomes very hard, large and bloated, especially after I eat and before my menstrual cycle. I am also constipated. I have read some articles on the net which suggest that this may be a distended stomach, which is caused by malnutrition. How do I know if this is caused by malnutrition or if I am just eating too much? I havent put on any weight.

This is really causing me problems because it is making me feel fat and gross and tempting me to reduce my calorie intake again, which I know wont be good for the rest of my body...does anyone have any ideas? I dont know if i should go to the doctor if this is just a digestive problem

Thanks in advance everyone

Hey Sam, I'm Rhonda. I think that distended stomach can definitely be caused by malnutrition. What are your diet habits? Are you eating late at night? I suggest you to make a diet plan and to eat regularly, because you need to avoid reappearing of anorexia again. You should check what you eat, are some of the groceries you eat making you bloating? Also, you could be allergic to a certain food. In any case, you should go and see a specialist or your doctor about this problem, because it might lead to something more serious. Let us know what you did. 

Dear Distended Darling,

You need to eat my dear. I have been through a similar experience. Eat please. Even if it makes you feel fat for a while. Even if it makes you actually fat for a while. Proper nutrition is more important than appearance. Everyone says that.... but it's easier said than believed. If you start to feel fat, add more activities to your day... every step you take will burn a couple calories while still allowing you to take in the nutrients from the food.

Best wishes.