I noticed when I run much over 30 miles a week my body breaks down.Some of the people I run with run 50 miles a week and insist I need to do 40-50 to train properly for a marathon.I am not very fast and probably never will be for that distance.I run a decent 5k pace(9:23),am 48years old, and have been running for a little over a year.I will be very happy to run a 4:30 marathon someday.Do I really need to run that many miles? I have had a lot of injuries in the one year that I have been running.All I really want is to enjoy my runs pain-injury free and I am afraid upping my mileage will result in overuse.Thanks :?

Not all people are cut out to run marathons 'runningchick'.
If, as you say your body breaks down after 30 miles (whatever that means) I'd be inclined to advise you to stick to 30 miles per week and concentrate bringing down your 5km.
The marathon is not the only race on the books. In time your body may be able to assorb more mileage, just don't push it.

I enjoyed the one I ran this year ,and plan to run more.I believe I am "cut out" to run marathons -that was never really a concern-just was wondering if 45-50 miles a week is really nessescary.I see training schedules for 30,I see some only for time.The person who said he runs 50 miles a week has been out for a year with a PF injury so I wonder how valid that advice was.

45 -50 miles per week necessary? I suppose it depends on what standards you set for yourself. 30 miles per week ? Yeah. You will probably get through but you could hardly call it running a marathon.
A simple rule of thumb. You get out of training exactly what you put into it.

don't worry, this is normal. I remember when I first started running...running 10 minutes in a row killed me! I never thought I'd get to like running but I saw my friends running for a few hours at a time and I didn't want to look like a slacker... your body will reach "limits" and you will have to push yourself past them. Everyone goes through this...there are no real limits except the ones you put on yourself.

Bingo. 30 miles a week is enough if you aren't concerned with your time. If you want to do the best you can, it will likely take much more training.