Hi, I`m a 40 year old female and over the last year, once a month for 2 days ( around 3 hours + a day, starting late afternoon) I suffer a headache over my right eye. The pain is bareable, although it`s like a shooting stabbing pain in and around my eye. During the 2 days of attacks my eye starts to go red and continues red for 5 days. At the beginning of my attacks last year there was alot of pain with my eye turning red. Now it seems the headaches come, then my eye reddens and continues for 5 days with no pain. It is a very strange reaction. I have seen an eye specialist who is baffled and suggested migraines (I guess she meant clusterheadaches, as I suffer no nausea etc.). The other factor involved is sinusitis and rhinitus. Again for around 1 year I have experienced what I first thought was allergies to pollen etc. since I have moved to the countryside. Watery eyes, coughs, feeling lethalgic, sometimes feverish, aches and pains. I discovered my sinuses had been infected, although on having an allergy test I was found to have no allergies, but possibly rhinitus for many many years (postnasal drip all the time). My doctor cannot explain my red eye at all, which is a little worrying, although the eye specialist says my eyes are fine. So my question is this - as my present heaches seem to be so cyclic and involve one eye turning red over several days is this a cause of sinitis/rhinitus or is it a mild form of cluster type headaches? I say mild as on reading about this type of headache it`s evident that it is usually very very painful in sufferers, and for me it`s bareable. Please help.........

Hi hun,
This is no cluster. I know because I am a cluster head. I've had clusters for over 26 yrs. Cluster comes in packs and last 1-2 hrs a day sometimes many a day. Cluster are the most severe of all the migraines. There are no mild clusters. What you seem to have are what are called "Classic". When I get hit with a cluster I will have up to 2 a day and just want to die. This cycle will last 6-8 weeks before the cycle brakes. For some this cycle never ends. They live with them everyday. The pain is unbearable. I would rather cut off my arm without drugs then to ever go though them. Thank God I have gone in remission. Been clear of the monster for 6 yrs. Good luck.

Sami

Hi Clairemarie. It was great reading your blog, as it was as though it was me writing it. I suffer the same experience, and the doctor finally declared he thinks it is cluster headaches. But like the last comment, I don't think it is, as it is not severe enough. The red eye does not get droopey, but very inflamed and achey. The pain behind the eye is disconcerting and uncomfortable, and it is perplexing. I hate it when it flares up, and usually feel unwell overall. Have you found out any further as to what is triggering this condition? I am 42, and have suffered with this for about 3 years, and have had probably 15 - 20 occurences in this time. If you are still around, I would love to hear how you have travelled with it.