I am very frustrated by my treatment so far. I am a 48 yr old female & I started having new headaches (never before suffered) on the very top of my head, constant pain about the size of a quarter about 4 months ago. I have been in and out of hospitals and ER. I have had CT scan and MRI's, spinal tap all come up normal. At first I would have numbness on top of my head with the pain. Now I just have pain (about every other day). It usually comes upon wakening and lasts all morning. I have been told that I "do not look like a migraine sufferer", I "need to seek counseling", "quit my job" (which I love), etc. They just can't seem, to find the answer to these headaches. The headaches are getting more intense. I have a couple questions:
1) How accurate are CT scans and MRI, in other words, can they show normal and I still have something such as tumor?
2) I am pretty healthy until now. My blood pressure increases with the pain. I have been told in ER that my platelett count is high (I don't know what that means) and that my protein was high. Do these things cause headaches?
Any input would be appreciated.
PS> I have appointment iwth nuerologist again in a few days, what do they do besides pokes you with safety pin?

Both MRI and CT scans are very good at looking at the brain and recognizing brain tumors. MRI is better than CT, it is called gold standard revealing brain tumors. Doctors can get pictures from three angles and can make a 3D tumor image if there is a tumor.
CT is very detailed. It gives pictures of both tissues and structures. It is very good in locating and detecting tumors but sometimes it misses some low grade tumors that can be caught with MRI.
Neither high platelet nor high protein levels would cause headaches. The most common symptoms and signs of high platelets are blot clots, frequent bleeding nose, or gums, stroke and a heart attack.
Both of these signs could be indicating bone marrow disorders.

Thank you for the reply. After the visit to the neurologist I am even more confused. He just seems to think that I should continue taking medications that do not help and see him in 6 weeks. My headaches are now coming anytime day or night, I also seem to get pain in my legs. He does not perscribe narcotics so I have to deal with it with pills that do not help. I ask, why do they make narcotcs if they are not used for those in pain? I have had these headaches since May and I do not want to think of living with them forever or even months from now. I can not plan anything because I do not know if I will be down with pain.
I would appreciate any feedback...

Wow, I am suffering from the same symptoms as you are. I have had servere headaches since Nov.2006. Ct scan showed nothing, doctors said it could be tension headaches, had a steroid shot in occipital nerve, go to physio and chiro and massage, cranial sacral massage and there doesn't seem to be any relief. So frustrating. Medications do not help, my head is always so sore and I can't even imagine living like this forever. I have a new baby and find it hard to take care of her. I am on a long waiting list to see a neurologist. Any news from your end?

Please do get in touch. I have had pain in the top of my head and now strange pain in my legs - I do wonder what is going on as my doctor also has no answers. ******
Regards,
JH

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

hello..
i am getting little bit ache on top of the head frenquently..what to do .is any thing worng with that? give me reply
bye

I have that pain on top of the head. Many times it is related to my ovaries and hormonal level. The woman with the new baby may find relief in a natural bioidentical cream. Perhaps getting hormonal levels tested would be a good idea.

I HAVING BAD PAIN ON THE TOP OF MY HEAD. MY CT SCAN SAID IT WAS SINUS INFECTION BUT HAD NO SIGNS OF SINUS. NOW THAT PAIN WONT GO AWAY!!!! ADIVCE PLEASE

I have been suffering from headaches top of the head as if something heavy is been pressed. I do feel very sick when I get it. I have noticed it comes after I have a meal with either lots of carbs or sugar.
The headaches last atleast a day and my eyes hurt and i feel dizzy.
What i do is to go easy on my carbs and sugar and It reduces.

What I need to know is what has food got do with it?

I rest with my head up on two pillows in a quiet room and it does reduce.

Has anyone here ever tried to relieve pressure from the head the natural way? I find if I get reoccurring head problems due mostly to pressure. I meditate.

We control our body with the mind correct. When the body starts to take its toll the mind or brain responds and triggers certain pain levels.

You can "use" the mind/brain and tell it that you don't have a headache. Pain only hurts if you want it to. If doctors can't help. Heal yourself without any type of drugs. The mind/brain is a powerful tool. Yet we only use 10% of it. let me know if you want to know more and I'll explain how meditation works.

I've had a headache on top of my head for the last 4 years now. It feels like someone is pulling my hair. I went to the doctor many times and did all the scans that they could come up with, well in the end they told me that I just made it all up and that there is no way I have a headache and that it's all psychological. Maybe it is but I don't know how to get rid of it. Meditating is surely an option so I would be very interested if you (author of the post above) would share more info with us, or me. My email is _[removed]_

thanks

Since January 2006, 3 years now i have been suffering from the most horrendous top head pains you can imagine. I am amazed that there are other people who experience this pain. I have suffered from migraine since i was 12, but these headaches are 100 times worst. They ache at a particular part at the top of my head and sometimes it is the back of head. It feels like someone has whacked a heavy object on the back of my head. The pain is so bad i am wondering whether i will be able to work for much longer. I am 28 and look forward to having children but have no idea how i will cope. Sometimes the pain is so intense and frequent, the head pains can last for 2 weeks, i wonder whether its worth living. I am trying a chiropractic at the moment it has been a month no improvement yet. I dont know what to do and i cannot imagine living the rest of my years with the pain. I wake up in the night sometimes with the pain and sometimes its there on waking up in the morning. People who dont suffer from headaches will never realise how lucky they are.

I am a 46 year old female and have been having top of the head headaches off and on for over a year. I often wake up with them. They aren't severe, but they are uncomfortable and seem chronic. To the posters who asked what food had to do with headaches; after reading many articles I know that food affects everything in the body. I also believe that body systems affect each other, and I have been having other issues such as swelling and pain in my fingers, stiffness in my feet upon waking and IBS. Since my mother has fibromyalgia and osteoporosis, and I have osteopenia (both auto-immune diseases) I believe that it's somehow all related. I try to watch my diet most of the time, and I do moderate exercise or yoga 3-4 times a week, but obviously it hasn't "fixed" everything.

I am a 70 year old female. I have a aching under the scalp on top of my head. I get this now and again. I also suffer from allergies, and my nose is often clogged up. Can this be the cause of it.

I too experience the headaches on the top of my head. They started about two weeks ago, come and go. The last few days, the headaches seem to stay around longer. I have been taking ibuprofen, but it doesn't seem to be helping. After reading some of the blogs, I'm not sure I should go to see a Dr. I am not one that likes to go to Dr's to begin with..Will they tell me it's all in my "head"..