Hello! My father is an older man and he has some problems, so, his doctor recommended him indwelling catheter. I know that he needs this catheter, but I am concerned because of that. I have heard that indwelling catheters lead to bladder stone development. I do not know is this just rumor or true and I hope that you will know. Thank you in advance!

Hello! I can tell you that he will get UTI for sure. He will probably get bladder stones too, but I can tell you that these stones very rarely cause some difficulties. But, when they cause them, then that can be dangerous. Namely, if bladder stones accumulate in indwelling catheters, they may block tube and that can lead to kidney infections or autonomic dysreflexia, because bladder pressure increases.

This question is two years old so you probably already know the answer but I am a 64 year old male who has had an indwelling catheter for six months and probably will have it for the rest of my life. I have not had either bladder stones or a UTI in that time. I think a lot of it depends on you general health and the health of you immune system.

BruceS