Hello! I have a six years old son and his doctor has diagnosed a bladder stone. I have heard of kidney stone but I didn't know that stones can also develop in the bladder. My son has had many urine infections since he was born. He suffered severe pain when urinating and sometimes he was unable to urinate at all. His doctor said he should drink plenty of fluid every day. I am concerned my son will get the bladder stone again just as he did the urinary infection. What can I do to prevent bladder stone to reoccur?

Hello! If the stone is small it usually passes when the child urinates. That is why it is very important to increase the intake of fluids which will help "flush out" the stone.
Sometimes is needed to take pain medication and antibiotics to prevent any possible infection. Also, the urine must be strained at home and then it will be sent to a laboratory.
The cause of stones is individual to your son and his nephrologists will discuss possible causes and ways to prevent future stones. The most important thing is to drink plenty of fluid every day and I heard that cranberry juice is a good prevention as well as water with lemonade.

My son has over 150 kidney stones and he is four. Found your post when searching this site and although it unlikely to be this had to respond. My son has William's Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder caused by a deletion of genes on the 7th chromosone. I won't bore you with all the details because it's a complicated disorder, but what is notable here is that it can cause an infant's blood to be high in calcium, which can cause stones and calcification of the kidneys. People with WS also can lack elastin, which can cause narrowing of the arteries, blood vessels, renal artery, and urethra. Many children with WS have frequent bladder infections as a result. It took me two years before my son was diagnosed. Might be worth googling anyway and if your son seems to fit the profile ask your pediatrician to order a genetic blood test called a FISH test or a DNA microarray. Good luck.