Hi people! I have suffered with quite severely dry skin for most of my life, as long as I can consciously remember, so including my teens. Without exception, my skin is always much drier in winter than in summer, and that goes for this winter too. As I usually do, I went searching for good moisturizer options and this time I saw people were talking about using glycerin as a moisturizer for the skin. The idea intrigues me but I would rather hear from real users than people promoting products with glycerin commercially. Do you have anything to say about this, especially if you have tried it for your self?

I'm not sure either. Glycerin on its own is supposed to make the skin feel more hydrated while in fact drying it out. There are products that combine glycerin with other emollients that seem to hold promise. The thing about some ingredients that are meant to hold moisture in your skin is that they also clog your pores, which you don't want. You need to be looking for products that mainly contain natural ingredients. Snowberry Bright Defence Day Cream No. 2 is supposed to be good, along with some others. I have not found natural moisturizers with glycerin in my price range though. Let me know if you find any.

I don't know of any ready made moisturizers with glycerin personally, but I do big puffy heart love reading blogs about skincare. There is always so much to learn there. For instance, some recommend using one part vegetable glycerin to four parts distilled water and using it in a spray bottle as a weird kind of moisturizer. Since it's so easy, I went and tried it. It works nicely for me in the evenings. Makes my skin feel really refreshed, and I no longer use night cream because of it. I have moderately dry skin by the way.

Celebrity

The benefits of glycerin are quite remarkable:

• It locks in moisture and also attracts it.
  • As it looks in moisture, glycerin also forms this barrier that keeps chemicals out. If you live in an extremely polluted area, it could do a lot for your skin. 
  • Eliminates dead skin cells, making your skin look fresh. 

However, you need natural glycerin, not the synthetic version, which can harm your skin. I have also understood that using a moisturizer with glycerin in really dry weather can produce blisters, presumably because it reacts with the sun in a certain way? So I would be careful with using it in summer. 

Rosie

I thought the whole idea was that you make this yourself? For instance, take equal parts of natural glycerin, vaseline/petroleum jelly, and vitamin E oil. Let it soak in 30 minutes and then have a shower. I just read about this 'cause I got issues with severely dry skin on my legs right now. Haven't tried it yet but am definitely going to. For toner, you can mix a quarter cup glycerin with 1 /12 cups rose water. I'm not really into making my own cosmetics but both of these sound easy enough so I'm fine with that.

This is frustrating, because I am actually not sure. I've never used glycerin as a moisturizer myself, though I have used liquid and solid hand soaps (of course?). Glycerin is supposed to be a body identical ingredient, meaning it will not dry your skin, but many former users consistently say that it did dry their skin. It is something you could try, but if you already have really dry skin, I'm not sure I would. There are many creams designed for dry skin. I would use those given your situation, I think. You would not want to risk a bout of extremely dry, cracking and bleeding skin. 

Glycerin does work very well as a moisturizer, but not quite on its own. The trick is to make a home-made toner. You get a bottle of vegetable glycerin with some rosehip oil and rose water in your hand, and apply that concoction to your newly washed face. If you have dry skin like I do, then this will really help keep your face moisturized. I still use normal day cream after using this home-made toner and my skin has been better hydrated and plumper than it has in years. Highly advised.

This is what I tried too. Unfortunately, it did not really work for me. Although it made my skin feel nice and soft on the outside, I still started noticing it was only the outer layer, and once I removed the toner I had really dry skin. So glycerin gives the impression of moisturizing without sinking into the skin, which in the ends causes severe dryness. For me, anyway. I don't use it any more now, as a moisturizer, but there are still plenty of things you can use glycerin for.

Celebrity

This is not something I would personally use on my face. It does not sound right. I would rather go for a deep and nourishing oil or even a butter. For instance, coconut oil and shea butter are both things many people swear by. You can also choose argan oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, or jojoba oil. You can even use a mixture of these. The most important thing when you start using a new product is to keep a good eye on your skin and keep track of how it is reacting. You want something that absorbs well and leaves your skin looking more hydrated, rather than creating a layer of moisture on top with dryness underneath. 

Rosie

I actually did this recently, tried glycerin as a moisturizer, after reading about it on the web of course. Well, I've still got some horrendously dry patches on my cheeks. Does that do enough to explain my experience with it? Mind you, my skin was a little dry before I started, not very dry like yours. But nope, it was a fail and I am not going to be using that again. Oh well, I just chalk it up to being able to cross glycerin off my list as an effective moisturizer.

Glycerin is an absolutely fantastic moisturizer ingredient, particularly in the summer when many people experience a drying of the skin. It helps create a smooth skin appearance and adds a special quality of softness to the skin. Unlike many other ingredients, glycerin does not cause dryness to the skin, nor irritation. You can also find it in body washes and lotions. 

Good products with glycerin include Dove's Deep Moisture Body Wash, Glo Therapeutics Body Exfoliant, Murad Advanced Active Radiance Serum and Wei East Sichuan Holly Wrinkle Away Amazing Eyes. Among MANY others, I have to add. 

If you have no experience with cosmetics with glycerin yet, definitely give it a go!