I'm new here but this seems like a good place to ask questions. Can you help me out with something? Now that winter is here, I have terribly dry skin that no moisturizer seems to combat. It's like that every single winter, and I'm determined to get through this one without looking like a flake, literally. I've had a thick nourishing moisturizer with avocado oil in it before, and I really liked that one. I bought it at a health foods store. Can't find it now. I've heard good things about both grapeseed oil and avocado oil for dry skin, but which one is optimal? Can you give me recommendations. both about the oil to buy and perhaps specific brands?

TIA :)

Interesting question! What I did hear is that most people who are into making their own skin care stuff are adamant that blends are better than single ingredients. That's good news for you 'cause it means you don't have to choose between either of those and can just mix both and have at it. While you're at it, yeah, jojoba oil is another one many people rave about. And you can add some drops of essential oil, perhaps grapefruit or lemon, to make it all smell fresh. I'm actually quite interested in how that would work out, so if you try it, let us know, OK? :)

Avocado oil benefits for facial skin:

- Moisturizes the skin
- Boosts collagen products in the skin
- Treats dryness and even eczema

Grape seed oil benefits for facial skin:

- Used to treat acne
- Makes the skin look tighter
- Moisturizers skin
- Has anti aging properties
- Can also reduce dark circles under eyes

As you can see, there is no better or worse oil, it simply depends on what you are looking for in your skin. Yes, you can mix and match different oils very easily. For dry skin I would think avocado oil is slightly better. You can also use plain extra virgin olive oil for that injection of moisture, along with a more specialized oil.

Celebrity
Hey,

This is a great reply, but I did want to point out that AVOCADO (not necessarily avocado oil) has many more benefits than those you mentioned, either applied topically or just taken orally (AKA eaten). Full of antioxidants and rich in moisture, an avocado mask or exfoliator, with raw and mashed avocado can actually reduce wrinkles and nourish the skin. I found out about this recently. It also has sun protective qualities, which means it will help prevent new wrinkles. When eaten, it also takes away skin blemishes from the inside out. I have heard that it also cleanses the skin, which is wonderful. AND if you have a few extra hairs (or for your legs etc) you can use avocado as a soothing agent post shaving.

Plus, you can actually use avocado in a hair mask in combination with something like coconut oil and honey. It can fight dandruff and give you healthy, shiny hair.

All in all, avocado is pretty awesome stuff. (Tasty too.)

Rosie

I have used oils in lieu of moisturizers from the store for a while now, and have tried both grapeseed oil and avocado oil. I like the grapeseed oil better. I also like pumpkin seed oil a lot. Jojoba oil is also a very good option. Look into the oil cleansing method as well if you are already investing in some skincare oils. It works really well. It is amazing how easy and fun holistic skin care can be once you get into it. Very good stuff. Do remember to go for organic cold pressed products whenever you can as these are better.

The reason avocado oil is so good for the skin is that it has plenty of monounsaturated fatty acids, which hydrate your skin, soften it, and fight blackheads, whiteheads, and acne. It is not generally spoken of as an antiwrinkle treatment, but I have noticed a reduction in my wrinkles since using avocado oil on my skin, probably because of the hydration. It may be in my mind, but I had several darker spots on my skin, probably where there was some sun damage, and they seem to have lightened quite a bit since the avocado oil. I have not tried grapeseed oil, but I do recommend avocado oil based on my very good experience. Purchase cold pressed only.

Grape Seed Oil is wonderful for the skin! It is an all natural moisturizer and when you use it, you really do not need to use any other moisturizer, because it does not just help your skin retain moisture, it also treats the common skin problems most of us are suffering from. Whether you have acne, dry skin, need some tightening because age is doing its work, or you have those dark circles under your eyes, Grape Seed Oil will help you with all of those things. All you need to do is massage a small number of drops into your moist, just washed skin.

Celebrity

I was looking for skincare products for my dry and sensitive skin (again, yes!) and I thought I would share what I found with you guys. The best oils for dry skin are:

1. Argan oil, which also combats wrinkles. (I have used this and do not like it much, but know others do.)
  2. Coconut oil. Again, some people find this dries their skin, while others swear by it.
  3. Flaxseed oil, which is supposed to be good for dry and sensitive skin and contains plenty of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. I have not used this one, but definitely want it now.
  4. Jojoba oil. Have tried it, works OK, great for hands and elbows, or in creams mixed with other ingredients. 
  5. Lavender oil. Have not tried it. I know people use this but it seems like it would be harsh and stinging. Apparently that is not true. Again, I may try this.

Rosie

This is a perfect starting point for me, so thank you! I have read about using oils instead of a regular moisturizer and people who use them say that they look great with them. The simplicity and naturalness of this really appeals to me. I have fairly sensitive skin that sometimes reacts really badly to commercial products, with breakouts and redness, and O think flaxseed oil sounds like the thing I really need. I will go check out reviews to see which one I should buy. Thanks!

Celebrity
I am glad I could be of help. I should say, as I did in the last post, that I have not used flaxseed oil yet. I did go ahead and order a small bottle, as it happens, but did not receive it yet. I did spend quite some time reading reviews on the internet and judging by what I read, I am very hopeful that it will make a positive difference to my skin. I have been trying to phase out commercial products that contain chemicals, though I still fall for them sometimes, but I am hoping the flaxseed oil will meet my moisturizing needs.

Rosie

This last winter, though mild, gave me incredibly dry skin for some weird reason. I recently discovered grapeseed oil and I am really loving what it is doing for my skin. It absorbs easily - my skin just can't seem to get enough of it. It is high in vitamin E and really revitalized the look of my skin. No more flaky skin popping up underneath my foundation, looking all unhealthy. Yes, I use grapeseed oil in place of a regular moisturizer and though the thought was a little strange at first, it is working so I will keep on using it this way. I just got a generic, random brand but next time I will buy organic for sure.