Celebrity

Hello everyone,

I'm asking for a friend here. My friend has very oily skin even in her late 30s, which is quite unusual I think. No matter what moisturizer she uses, her skin still "shines through", literally, and not in a good way, you know? She has tried numerous different day creams as well as a cleansing regime and now wants to know which moisturizer (specific brand and product recommendation) might be helpful for her skin in that situation.

We can help her out, right people? If you have oily skin too please share what moisturizer you use and whether you are happy with it.

Rosie

Hiya Rosie, there's plenty of oil free moisturizers out there these days, you believe it! For instance belif Oil Control Fresh Moisturiser, Clinique Turnaround Daytime Revitalizing Moisturiser, Neutrogena Hydroboost Water Gel, and the (ridiculously expensive) iS Clinical Reparative Moisture Emulsion. As long as your mate picks an oil free moisturiser, the rest is really up to some good old experimentation. Some will work for her, some not so I'd suggest getting samples wherever possible to avoid unnecessary spending money, yeah? Expensive brands will often comply and hand those out. Just normal chemist brands, it's worth trying anyways. Soon enough your friend will find a cream or gel that works like a charm for her.

I love love love dermatologica's active moist lotion. This is one of the few moisturisers that I've truly appreciated. Not only is this moisturiser oil free, but it also actually actively combats shine. With my oily skin, which is VERY prone to acne and blackheads, I really need that kind of thing. It's this moisturiser (and I am sure that there are others like this, Shiseido Pureness gel moisturiser is meant to be excellent as well but I haven't used it yet) that can really make a difference at a fundamental level. Blotting sheets are no solution.

Tips to fight oily skin:

1. Use a gentle cleanser made for oily skin, such as Cetaphil.
2. Try salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid or beta hydroxy acid.
3. Use blotting paper royally.
4. Apply a clay mask to your skin once a week to draw out the excess sebum.
5. Do use a moisturizer. Definitely do not skip using one at all. Just choose one that is oil free. The same goes for sunscreen you use on your face which is sometimes overlooked.
6. If all else fails, see your doctor.

Because that is something you need to personally experiment with and choose which moisturizer works well for your particular skin, I'd advise you to go get as many samples as possible and simply try out which moisturizer works well for you. Sephora should be good for that kind of thing!

Meanwhile some pointers for you. Good moisturizers for people with slightly oilier skin include La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Regulating Moisturizer, Bare Minerals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer (for combination skin technically), and Algenist Multi Perfecting Pore Corrector.

I am suffering from oily skin that is also acne ridden at the moment, and that is unusual for me but it happens sometimes in summer. I asked some folks for recommendations and the moisturizer/treatment for oily skin that I ended up with is Philosophy's Clear Days Ahead. It has salicylic acid and I am really liking it. I am already seeing my breakouts dry up some so yeah, I would say this is a particularly good one.

Mind you, for cheaper options you could also look into Neutrogena's Oil Free Moisture and of course the trusty old Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer, which is a good option for people on a budget.

I have been having luck with clear start, which is by Dermatologica. It seems to help keep my otherwise shiny skin matte a great deal better than some other moisturizers. I have also tried Effaclar matte by La Roch Posay which was alright, and something called Seriously Shine Free I forget who made it now.

One thing to keep in mind though is that this is about more than moisturizer alone. You have to get your exfoliation and daily cleansing right, not to mention the foundation you use really matters as well. At the end of the day, loose powder and blotting sheets are going to be your friends too. Mine gets worst in summer and it is just a matter of redoing my makeup a lot as well as using the right products.

Yes. Every skin type needs moisturizing, and every skin type needs sunscreen.

Moisturizers can help add water content to your skin without also adding oil, as long as you look for a moisturizer that is oil free. They also help establish a barrier between your skin and the world, which helps protect your skin's health and makes it feel nice and soft. What is more, acne treatments such as retinol often make your skin feel extra dry, making the need to moisturize more acute in people who are suffering from acne.

Don't skip the moisturizer just because you have oily skin and your skin will thank you for it.