Do you view life quanitifably? For example, is sacrificing one life always acceptable if it saves two lives? If you don't believe this, when is it not acceptable?

Too many variables.
I would sacrifice my life for my kids or my wife or my brothers or sister. I might not sacrifice my life for a stranger (i said sacrifice, not risk). My reason fo this is that I have a responsibility to my family to stay alive, if possible.

What monk said.

The bibilical standard is no greater love than when man lays down his life for another. I do not think it is proportional . Though I would be more likely to take greater risks to save my family, I would still lay it out to save another if it came to that.

I'm not necessarily talking about sacrificing your own life - my premise is that I think a lot of people would factor in the "value" of a person's life whereas the idea of one human being evaluating the life-value of another human being strikes me as, well, not one's place.

without providing specific circumstances - would killing a genius, cancer-curing, scientist type to save two below-average intelligence monkey handlers be acceptable / appropriate?

If we aren't talking about sacrificing one's own life, i don't think we can truly quantify the value of a human life compared to another. Not in the case of "I'll kill me one Einstein to save three Pugs". Sure, an Einstein may have a larger significant impact to human civilization, but do you really know the long term impact of my life? Who i have impacted in such a way to alter their lives, my children and grandchildren and who they impact and what they do? I don't think it is really possible (or even appropriate) to try to quantify a life like that. This isn't to say that i've never done exactly that, but it still isn't appropriate, methinks.

It's would depend on the situation, and you cannot predict what your response would be.

If someone would attempt to hurt my kids, Maddie, or her son, I would stand between them and the agressor...no question...I would take the bullet, knife, whatever... Then the &*$^% better run, cuz I am hard to take down

I would give my life to protect my loved ones, and I would risk my life to help a stanger if the situation demanded it.

Your question as worded is difficult to answer. Would I give my life to save a school full of kids, a train, a ship, or a building full of people...yea, I probably would... Again, it would depend on the situation.

Ranger

[observation]
I am interested to see the responses of those in a service industry v. those who are not. I am even more interested to see how the more conservative RRers will answer this, because this question is a cornerstone of another hot topic. I hypothesize that the conservatives would say yes, within prohemp's guidelines it would be acceptable to sacrifice one life for another, but would say no in the context of the hot topic.
[/observation]

Please continue.

you're right - the very idea of quantifiable mortality is at complete odds with the widely accepted belief of human equality. You cannot say that all humans are created equal and yet some humans are more deserving of life than others, obviously the claim would be self-contradictory.

How about just a good ass-kicking?

How about just a good ass-licking?
hey - that kinda talk may work with the chicks but not here

I think you're talking about the greater good. Logically, killing the scientist would have a detrimental impact on society as well his/her family and friends, whereas killing the below-average monkey handlers would have little or no impact on society but would also hurt their family and friends. Allowing the scientist to live allows the potential to save many more lives, so it is an acceptable/appropriate choice. But most people don't think or operate logically, and when it comes to the life and death of people, family and friends, reason is thrown out the window. This choice is, therefore, only good for discussion purposes.

edited to finish my thought

How about just a good ass-licking?
hey - that kinda talk may work with the chicks but not here Doesn't work with the chicks, either :(

So says the scientist.

So says the scientist.
I saw that coming, but realize I'm a monkey-handler. No one will live or die by my work.