Rule 1 -
Life is not fair; get used to it.

Rule 2 -
The world doesn t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3 - You will NOT make 40 thousand dollars a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice president with a company car, until you earn both.

Rule 4 - If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss. He doesn't have tenure.

Rule 5 - Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping; they called it opportunity.

Rule 6 - If you mess up, it's not your parents fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.
Rule 7 - Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes, and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So, before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent s generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8 - Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades; they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9 - Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off, and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10 - Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
Rule 11 - Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

I prefer Baz Luhrmann's take on it: Ladies and gentleman of the class of 99 [97]: Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now. Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth, or never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded, But trust me, in 20 years you'll look back at photos of yourself, And recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibly lay before you, And how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine. Don't worry about the future, or worry, but know that worrying Is as effective as trying to solve an Algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed Your worried mind, the kind that blind sides you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday. Do one thing everyday that scares you. Sing. Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours. Floss. Don't waste your time on jealousy, Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself. Remember complements you've received, forget the insults, If you succeed in doing this, tell me how. Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements. Stretch. Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they Wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't. Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone. Maybe you'll marry. Maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children. Maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40. Maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, Or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's. Enjoy your body, use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it, or what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own. Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room. Read the directions even if you don't follow them. Do not read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly. Brother and sister, together we'll make it through, Some day a spirit will take you and guide you there. I know you've been hurting but I've been waiting to be there for you, And I'll be there just helping you out whenever I can. Get to know your parents, you never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings, they're the best link to your past, And the people most likely to stick with you in the future. Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, Because the older you get the more you need the people you knew when you were young. Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel. Accept certain inalienable truths. Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You too will get old, and when you do, you'll fantasize That when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were Noble, and children respected their elders. Respect your elders. Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when either one might run out. Don't mess too much with your hair, or by the time you're 40 it will look 85. Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, Wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth. But trust me on the sunscreen.

My favorite parts...
Rule 5 - Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity.

The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they
Wanted to do with their lives.
Some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't.

um, EL's is hitting real close to home. i'm sure there wasn't a graduate in the crowd that really heard those words but their parents were probably all :cry: and :1:

i'd give it a huge :1: