I know many people who are taking methadon for 40 years or more. They are on a long-life maintance and for them Life is normal.They even sometimes forget to take their methadone. Let's be honest,if you're taking let's say 10ml  methadone per day,after a year ago they will noe even fill it . Nothing! It's like they took a glass of water.The methadone gives them just the "cure" to function normal,and I mean litteraly normal,from the brain trough the liver and other organs.So, without their "cure" to function normally and be like a human been they would go so sick and trough very hard withdrawals from which they would probably die.
It's very difficult to understand for the society how a human been can be so addictive to a certain thing.
But humans can get addictive to everything,and i mean everything !
We are talking here of a way of life,about a decision. A decision to be on methadon for a life long or to gett off methadon and go into detox.It's that easy,it's a choice ! So,there comes the question why would somebody want to be on methadone for a lifelong? There are so many answers,anwers difficult to understand ,which goes into the roots of your life,your family.I can not answer you that question in one sentence.There is one interesting thing,a lot psychriatist told me that smart people or people with a high IQ have much more troubles to settle their life than the normal people. Ironic,isn't it ?
Well since I wrote that there are so many answers why a person would be for life-long on methadone i would like to answer to that question peiople who are on a life long methadon user,or persons who are for 10 or even more years on methadon,and how their life is going on? Feel free to share all your experiences,storys,comments,storys on this topic and maybe we can help each other,who knows ?
Some even become friends in real life!

Tell us your storys and experiences !

i have been taking meth for 23yrs, the only way to get down maybe not completly off, iv been doing a study watching addicts with hep c wen treatments finished they seem to be able to redus-ce easily, cos they think this is 0 compared to the intrferon treatment, genottpe 1, then theres the people with same type of hepc same gnotype cannot cure it and go up and up on their meth,their is definitly a link with having hep c geno type 1 3 you feel like uv had no meth at all, u seem to withdrawl more severly, and you bloat out more than 40 woman i met had all balloned up tp size 16-18 threw hep c,why should w have to take this drug supervised esp people thats been on it for 23yrs, they need it they never going to sell it for that c**p gear thats about..... if any1 agrees just 1 makes a diff so we can do something bout this,we must work tog

Like i wrote it....there r so many things that I agree with you,especialy the "choice" thing and my psychiatrist told me the same thing :)

Quote" A decision to be on methadon for a life long or to get off methadon and go into detox.It's that easy,it's a choice ! So,there comes the question why would somebody want to be on methadone for a lifelong?" Unquote

Hello Searcher,

You say that it boils down to a choice. Maybe so and I am not going into semantics and sophistries. But please realize that not all users are taking meth to conquer other drugs. In my case I take it for pain. Yes, meth is an incredibly good painkiller. Thirty years ago I had a urinary tract infection ( no extra-marital visits, promise ) and the little bacteria ate a piece of a nerve. I now have stenosis of the bladder and neuropathic pain and NO choice unlike you rate suicide as a choice. I have spent hundreds of hours on the Internet to find a fine method of leaving this Vale of Tears. There are not many. Not many you would want to use anyway. As an attention grabber I cut three of tough 79 year old pieces of flesh out of my arm. And if you expect sympathy forget about it. They hooked me up to a machine for a couple of hours and gave me some anti high blood pressure tablets as the systolic was 214. And that was it for 2 hours till a doctor thought I was worthy of attention and washed the cuts with anti-septic stuff, then with a cleaning liquid, then with an anti-septic liquid and then with a cleaner..............). Stitches appear to have gone out of fashion the same as food. I was not offered any of this nonsense. I was nearly sent home with some painkillers which would have prevented the whole act if they had given them to me when I came in earlier. Then the decision was made to put a dressing with methadone on my arm but not without drama. The decision about intelligence is easily made: I won't mention my name here so no boasting. I suffer from a normal IQ of 130. The methadone takes a big slice away. And again no choice, take it or leave it. Yes, it does hurt. At 79 I should not worry but it does just the same. You become a different person, mentally and physically. After having been married for 50 years I still love my wife.

You can't understand certain things Searcher?. It's the same way that my psychiatrist can't understand that a person can drink himself sober. And thinks I'm an id**t. Only experience counts, no sneering or jeering. Mental pain takes the place of physical. Please leave it at that and remember that we are all of the same race, the Human one.

And if you want to see a Lie walking, walk behind your doctor although there are a couple of exceptions. A 99.9% strike rate.

If you listen to people condemning the subsidization of methadone have a good look at the 3rd cup of tea in their hands. Tea is very addictive but only tell them that if you want to lose a 'friend'.