My nose is huge, and it has a kind of bulge at the tip that makes it look quite deformed. I've been wanting to have a nose job since I was a teen, and I am very seriously considering having it done now. The problem? The cost. I don't necessarily have $5000 lying about in my desk drawer. My breasts are also on the big side, DD and I have a small frame. I am pretty sure I could have both my breasts reduced and my nose fixed for the same price as only the nose job in the US. 

Now my question is - would you be brave enough to go out of the country for plastic surgery, or do you trust local expertise and regulations more? If you would go for plastic surgery tourism, what country would you choose? Mexico is one option. In some places, you could even combine the surgery and a holiday. 

Experiences? Tips? Warnings?

Thanks!!!

From what I've seen (I looked into this), rhinoplasty is around $3500 in Mexico. You'd save $1500 on the surgery, but you'd still need to travel there, maybe take more time off work, maybe stay in a hotel... And by the time you are done, you have spent as much as you would have at home. Unless you're close to the border perhaps. And then you have to do a LOT of research about licensing, hygiene, the anesthesia... and if you were to fly home and end up with a complication, then you couldn't just see your surgeon. All in all, this is not a decision I would personally make because my calculation is that you won't end up saving much at all, and may well end up with worse service. Just my opinion.

Celebrity

Keeping in mind that I have no personal experience, the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery has some sane guidelines for this very purpose. 

In addition to making sure you understand the procedure and know that it has the potential to provide the improvements you are looking for, they have some questions you should ask your potential clinic. It basically consists of making sure your surgeon is trained, experienced and licensed. If they are a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, that is one way of ensuring that the surgeon has what you are looking for. They also suggest you check the surgeon's references and make sure that they follow the WHO's guidelines on surgical safety. 

Rosie

That depends, yeah? I don't have no experience with countries surrounding America so I can't comment about that, but I do know my sister went for a boob job and liposuction in Dublin, in Ireland (we're from the UK) when her baby was about a year old, to give her a boost in confidence and get rid of that extra fat she had. It was way cheaper there than in London, yeah, and obviously Ireland's just as reputable in terms of quality and stuff. So yeah, If I felt I needed plastic surgery, I'd definitely do the same thing. Why no save some cash, you know? But yeah, no way I'd have it done in some foreign country that didn't speak no English... being able to communicate with your doctor is pretty bl**dy important, you know? And of course the standards, they've got to be good. 

If the price is right and the quality is good, absolutely! Why not?

Good plastic surgery destinations (depending on your own location and whether you're already going on vacation or not) include Spain, Germany, Belgium, Czech Republic, Turkey, Egypt, Brazil, Argentina, Thailand, and South Korea. As with getting surgery in your own country, it's always important to verify the standards of the clinic itself (don't just book it), and check they are licensed and the doctors all have active licenses and everything is in order. Reviews can help with that, the country's licensing organizations can help with that... you just need to do your research and as always go for the best option not the very cheapest one. Then you'll be fine.

If I were ever to consider plastic surgery, safety would come first. Absolutely. If I couldn't afford the best care possible, either at home or abroad, then I would have to do without. Thailand is, yes, considered to be a very safe and popular plastic surgery destination. But if you Google around a bit, it is not at all hard to find very many horror stories. I'd link to some, but I respect the mods' policy of no links. You can try it yourself, anyway. 

The real question to ask is — is it really possible to adequately assess the safety of a clinic abroad? It's actually hard enough to do the same for clinics at home, where you are more familiar with what professional standards are in place and you can speak with the doctors at length and perhaps even meet previous patients. (Often, many of the staff at a clinic will have had procedures done by the surgeons at the clinic, so that gives you a good starting point.)

Then, the aftercare is just as important. If something were to go wrong, and I know someone else already mentioned this, you really want to be able to see your surgeon again. And in addition, you want to know that if you are having anything implanted (breast implants, butt implants, etc) your clinic is using the highest grade materials possible and not the cheapest. Why do you think procedures are cheaper elsewhere? Often, a large part of that is that they use cheaper materials. Do you really want to cut corners like that? I would not.

Having plastic surgery is a MAJOR life decision, especially if you are doing anything to your face. It could make a very large positive impact on your life, or it could, if something goes wrong, have a very bad impact on your life. I read somewhere that most people who have plastic surgery think about it for five to 10 years before going ahead. That means they also have the chance to save up that long. I underwent rhinoplasty 10 years ago myself. I had been thinking about it since my teens, and when I was left a significant inheritance by my grandmother, I knew it was time to go ahead and do it. It wasn't just that I was unhappy with the way I looked, but I had been bullied for that nose in middle and high school and it represented something... deeper, like feelings of sadness. I felt I had to get rid of it before I could move on and enjoy a career. I didn't go abroad because I wanted to have the very best service possible. My doctor was Iranian, so I obviously have all the trust in the world in foreign doctors, but it's more... the whole knowing someone is there if you need them, if you have questions afterwards, you know? Also, I wouldn't wan to be in a foreign country after a procedure like that. As it is, I was only in hospital one night, which is pretty common, and afterwards I went to stay with my mom, she cooked for me and pampered me etc. That is pretty nice to have after you come back from the op and are feeling a bit weird.

Hi!

I'm from the UK and I had a nose job done in Prague three years back. A good friend of mine lives there and when I mentioned that I was seriously considering a nose job, she looked around for prices and surgeons there. It was cheaper, and the quality is good, so I went for it. She set me up with the clinic and everything, and I stayed with her for the recovery period. After that we went sight seeing and all that, and I came back with a more modest looking nose. It's still great. It didn't break off or anything :). Rhinoplasty is a one-off procedure so I felt OK about having it done after feeling bad about my nose for, like, ever. I wouldn't have breast implants or anything that has an expiry date though... because what if you do not have money to get it redone when it's due? Something to think about!

Of course! If the quality is great and the price is better than at home, then I have absolutely nothing against the practice of medical tourism for plastic surgery. South Korea, Greece, Italy, Brazil, Colombia and Taiwan are all excellent plastic surgery destinations depending on which one is closer to you and the price of your flight as well. I would avoid South and Central America because of the Zika outbreak at the moment, but that has nothing to do with the quality of plastic surgery clinics in these countries.