The day after drinking alcohol my friend always has the sense of paranoia and panic. Just a few drinks do it, although I would say in general she is a strong and easy going person. While drinking she is the same, good fun and doesn't drink to silly excesses. As to why it happens, not a clue, perhaps she is just especially intolerant.

Although never having had a problem with alcohol, I made the decision years ago to not drink. I simply asked myself if even one drink benefited me in any way and I couldn't give an honest "yes" answer. Once I had something that I could call a panic attack, and bizarrely every time I have had a drink which isn’t anymore I always woke up at 4 am.

I am an occasional drinker and I have panic the next day also. It doesn't matter how much alcohol. I believe that it comes from messing with your brain chemical balance. It is a terrible feeling and, perhaps get it checked out. Especially if it happens with small amounts of alcohol. Since I got checked about it, I have been prescribed Paxil and it all has vanished. Seems like a whole new life. Good Luck to you.

READ, ITS REALLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I drink sometimes and I should stop because every morning I can't handle my hang overs and I get deadly panic attacks. So, I stop drinking for about 3 weeks ago and now my panic attacks has gone worse. My heart can't stop beating funny and I feel like I am going to have a heart attack. My funny feeling last for 2 days non-stop and then I calm for 5 minutes then it starts again non-stop. When I have a disorder it's just not drinking alcohol, it's from too much stress and worring to much about every single thing. I could die from this disorder from a heart attack but, I'm still young (19 years old) but, when I get older that it could happen. Right now it's not to late to prevent this heart attack. What I should do and you guys ,too, is exerces, eat healthy, positive self-talk that means when you are thinking that bad stuff are happening to you like "I'm fat and that can cause heart attack when I get older" (Negitive self-talk) To change that to positive self-talk is "I'm going to lose pounds by exercising and eating well". If it's hard to do self-talk see a therapist they will help you. I promise you will get better. I'm just starting but not fully better ,yet. Any Problem is a real problem.       My advise to you peoples in the world is "Get as much help as you can, just don't wait for these symtoms to happen. Even if you don't feel it just see a doctor or therapist and when they say you are fine and go home and you think you're not then stand up and say what you got to say. It only makes manners better then going home feeling really bad."  You will get better while you are still young. :-)

i started getting these panic, fear, terror and palpultations of my heart after getting drunk about one year ago. one time after heavy drinkning my panic lasted for 12 hours. I am 32, not overweight and very athletic but i suffered a heart attack 3 weeks ago after a marathon training session. so get yourself checked out

Alcohol is a drug and hangovers are a symptom of withdrawal. The panic attacks may be linked to withdrawal, you should talk to your doctor.

Hi, I also suffer these for days on end, even after an average amount.. its horrible, its a type of depression - the symptoms, but not convinced its that solely, I've so much going for me and am so happy and lucky in life, but the alcohol sends me way out there for days if not more! I can give it up I suppose but would really like to get to the root of it! Concentration motivation, focus - everything! Gone out the window! .. Did you get any furher help for your friend??

Cheers,

Paul

My daughter has anxiety and it sounds just like what you have described. There is a lot of information on the web about an overgrowth of candidias causing anxiety. Candidia yeast feeds on sugar and alcohol converts to sugar. I suggest monitoring how you feel after consuming large amounts of sugar and search the web for more information. :-)

Okay, Ive felt down for years. scrutinized under my mothers control ( who I love and never wanted to dissapoint).

For years, as a child i was bullied ( I had a squint) and I could never do the sticking up for myself thing very well.

for a long time, my dad helped me. he would turn every bully thought , into a positive. make me feel secure and maybe okay about myself.

My parents seperated when I was 11. It had been on the cards for a very long time. ( Really , i do not wnat to go on about my many unhappy experiences), but what I know is that when I turned around 14- everything got too hard. I used to sit in my room and stare, or just prance about to music. I was exceptionally lonely.

My mum moved into a huge house with her partner- and everything had to LOOK good. For me, I wanted yes, wanted to look good, but underneath, underneath I felt that I had been really hurt , by everyone.

I changed schools to try and fit into the area. i changed. I became quiet and altogether into myself. I made a few friends, and ( yes I guesss I was liked, in some ways...but those who dissliked me tended to protest about it to my face.

I struggled with school work, or Id do exceptional, or really bad ( looking back). I averaged at S grades, and did much better at higher. But just to fight my way to higher was tough.

My sister and mum were in a very serious car crash when I was 14. Luckily both my mum and sister are still here to tell the tale, but it was bone grinding, teeth gritting stuff. A few weeks later, my aunt died of breast cancer. i had had the chicken pox and had been extremely sick with it...still have the scars. My aunt was told she had the shingles.

Anyway, thats all about the control and still has made me the non visible non emotive person I am today. I just feel guilty when they hurt.

Ive been through some serious episodes myself, but hide it from my family. Though they know some of it- but no one knows exactly what happened.

I recall things that went on in my life, but this is awful. I wish to forget it, so tend to turn to alcohol..as i cant cope I cant cope with ho wpeople seem ( that is seem , not are) so well,No one seems as scared or as petrified as me. Though I think I am starting to level my fears due to the one minute feeling petrified and the next wanting to end my life, I want my life to end but dont wnat to feel the pain inorder for it to finish. Or even hurt anyone else for me to be over.

Then I have this extremity...the one that says " You are speial" a true fighter and that you can do anything, anything you want. I know I can . I come up from the alpjabet of qualifications. i can get and E at something and turn it into the the highest A grade you have ever seen. But it does not come naturally. it takes hard graft.

I have these memories of something which happened to me a long time ago. When I had my children I think I was so consumed by them Amazed byt he baby, that I had made them . That I had changer the forecast for my family. I still feel like that sometimes, regardless if family life is stresssful or not. But I canot filter these things, thoughts feelings and memmories out my head. i can draw a curtain late at night and find mysel fin a ball crying about it, now.. I have no reason to be feeling like this.

Okay, had more wine, perhaps I should let it slip...or not...okay no I will. In fourth year and I know people are atacked and abused all the imt , but I cant get rid of my fears that it will all happen again and agin. I was stalked, horribly, not like flattery but horribly stalked. Maybe you had to be ther to really understand , maybe...sometimes I can laugh about it...like iused before the horrible incident happened. I used stick my vickys up at the window on my return from college, just so he understood I was not interested. The only person I can thin that it was , was that it must have been someone living there ( sorry english is bad) but whoever it was knew my movements. This person knew what I wore , what I ate, what I liked , the music i liked , the fact that Id stay up all night doing essays, or get pie eyed pished!!!

I am not stupid, perhaps a bit naive, and its not like I have been in an air accident or a car crash, or been murdered( though he did try to strangle me later) But its not like I have had any fatality..I jsut feel that way.

When I started to seee the fella i am with now, I tried to explain things to him. I remeber him saying"you feel what? Depressed? Well that looks bad on me?" he never understood.

Now times have got harder and more difficult, and there seems no where to go. I had to tell someone, and so did. I told my Gp ( shhh!!) Poor man thinks I am mad!! ( weel yes, I am !)

I do not like the word "rape" . In actual fact , I would not categorize what I went through as rape, because I still think there were probably more I could have doen to prevent the incident happening. And of course letting the bloody drug freak walk free!! ( What angers me the most!) And scares me. Cant believe I have the audacity to write it here. is he could still be doing it to others.

Now I have children I reep the irregular lack of my bad behaviour ( ie) I am just as bad as this person for letting him wlak free. it makes me feel sick so sick that I do stupid things to my body.

I drink too much now, and ostresized myself off to the spare room in my flat,I cannot cope with a sexual relationship. Ive done my time there. i havd the children There is no need for it. i would love to be a more loving partner, but have found my partner to tough to handle so cant be anymore giving than a spare rib ( if you ge tm ymeaning)

God, Ive rambled. Will these feelings depart?

I too experience this problem after drinking.I could just be sitting watching tv & a sensation comes over me & my heart starts to race.I end up thinking of the worst things imaginable like a death of a family member which makes me panic more.I fear the worst will happen to myself or my family & sometimes get emotional about it.I'm not sure why this happens to me.I'm 29 yrs old,& drink maybe 2 times a month.

I often get this panic thing after drinking. Also though I am not sick to my stomach, my body and mind is in a very low state. Lower then most of my friends gets. I have been reading/testing a lot of proteins and natural remedies for my depression lately. I am not a DR. But I assume the panic the day after drinking can be that the brain is to high or low on dopamine. I know that alcohol release dopamine and serotonin and other stuff when drinking. Reaction between dopamine and serotonin is a complex reaction. What I have read they try to balance one another out. It is best for one to google these things.

"Dopamine also acts in the limbic system, which controls our emotions.

· Overabundance of dopamine in the limbic system is believed to cause paranoia."

I went out drinking for halloween this past weekend and I have been experiencing panic attacks, I had a really bad one at work and started crying and had one before work after my husband left to go to work 2 hours earlier i started freaking out really bad I thought my head was going to explode...3 days later it is still happening... this is the part that really scares me... you know how everyone has there thoughts when you think about whatever .... well mine seem to almost be right on the tip of my tongue now like I have to control blurting out what I'm thinking...and am having trouble almost remembering something that just happened not totally forgetting but idk...i just dont feel right after drinking...I rarely drink but that night i had alot... someone please help me I'm pretty scared that my alltured thinking is going to be permanent...I feel kinda out of it, and there is alot of negative thoughts coming and going...im only 21, 5" 4 and 155 lbs. I don't know what to think or do. :'(

ok..here is some truth about panic attacks..i suffered bad for years..i had the same effects as many of you posted. the important thing to note is that no... you are not going crazy..i know at this point very little anyone says to you will matter..as all you are preoccupied with is the crazy feelings/scary feelings that are going on inside your head...the good news is that 100 per cent they will pass..and you will be looking back laughing at it. the thing about panic attacks, is to inform yourself about what they really are.. they are your bodies way of dealing with fear...in many of your cases..irrational fear..its a normal way for your body to react.. what makes you panic more is when you feel the thingling and the rush come on...you begin to freak out....how i overcame it was as follows...the more they come on ..the less intense they will become..when you feel it come on...deep slow breathing really does help...tell your self..i know what this is now and it will pass...then dont wish it never to come again....when it does..maybe a short time later or if you take a drink...just submit to it and let the feeling come apon you..knowing again it will pass.. it becomes less severe..trust me...then it will stop coming at all as it will have no impact...its been about 9 years since ive had one...every now and again if i drink alot in a night...and dont get sleep it creeps up...but i laugh at what it is now and joke about the fear...everybody suffers from it in different ways....i wouldnt take sedetive meds unless i was ready to be commited! haha..they are too habit forming..and there is no need for them..maybe try rescue remedy or some herbal pills to get you over the hump...but...id be willing to lay down a bet of all my possessions that it will pass for good..it will not make you crazy...the thing to do is talk to friends about it..im sure you will be very surprised at how many suffer form it too! trust me..it is no harm and will disappear...

i get it too i think its because when u drink u dont sleep plobaly

I've had two major panic attacks the day after drinking too much. I thought they were heart attacks or a stroke at first. But I've come to realise that they are panic attacks. My whole body goes numb, chest pain, and I can't breath properly and my head goes so light I feel like I am going to faint or drop dead. I think the body/nervous system being under stress from the booze is what triggers the attack.

I also had a bad panic attack today, haven't had a drink for three weeks but have given up smoking , plus other things have made me stressed. But I felt ok, was sitting at my computer just browsing feeling relaxed today and it just hit me, my face and arms went numb, light headed, breathing problems and a feeling that I was going to die, lasted a good two hours and I am still feeling the after effects of it now. Going to lie down, have no idea why this happens, did not start having this problem until I was in my late 20s , about 5 years ago.

If you're going through this just remember that you will be ok and it will not last as long. I find that moving about helps alot, pacing up and down my garden in the middle of the night also helped me get rid of a very bad panic attack one night a few years ago. Was very close to calling a ambulance that night as I thought I was truly going to die. Could not stop shaking and was gasping for air as if I was being buried alive. That was the day after a hard night of drinking vodka with a Russian guy I met in a bar.

If you suffer from panic attacks don't drink so much you get a bad hangover, and don't smoke too much, both have triggered panic attacks in me the day after a heavy night out drinking.