First of all I am NOT an alcholic.This is somthing diffrent.I have always had it ,.When i was younger and my friends had normal hangovers ,I had terror ,fear horror ,problems were exagerated im my mind.Iwould worry needlessly over little things but they would be huge to me(only for 3 -4 days after drinking after i would be fine)Strangly if i had a cigarette during that period the anxiety would enhance as well .
So you may ask why not give up drinking ,well its a social thing and i enjoy it once a week, the hangover is to scary for any more than that.

Well 20 years down the track and im a bit further forward,i honestly think this is a unique problem that people confuse with other things though i have somthing that helps BIG time .Nytol ts not addictive and you buy it from the chemist.Also the folowing morning I take two co codimol pain killers and a lucozade sports dring to replace lost minerals.\i swear to you this is the only thing that helps me and it took me years.
Also im really careful what i say and do when im drunk now as that is where the exagerated confusion comes from.Any one else have this probelm WHAT THE HELL IS IT???3 glasses of wine then messed up for 2 days aint right!there must be a perment cure out there somewhere or am i alone with this totally sh*t affliction??It is such a stong feeling of being tense and afraid.I become moody on the second day until a sweat usually breaks and things get better from there

Robert

Hi, you most definately ain't on your own with this, I get the same thing for a day or so after just a couple of beers as well, but the more i drink the worse it is the next day. Apart from feeling pretty c**p the day after, I really worry about the night before and if I've said something I shouldn't have or worry about tiny trivial things etc, I've actually got this feeling right now as I had a few last night which how I happened to find this forum!

It's not a pleasent feeling at all and in the last year or so I've really calmed down my drinking and avoided heavy sessions literally because of this anxiety or worrying I get the next day. The stupid thing is I start worrying, know that it's just probably the beer again but then still worry! I've had this probably for a few years and haven't found anything that helps apart from not drinking alot or not drinking at all.

The problem is I enjoy a beer and sometimes with the best intentions in the world of not drinking too much, I end up drinking too much and feel like this the next day, and often the day afterwards as well. After a day or so when the anxiety or worrying has completely gone, I always wonder to myself why the hell I was worrying in the first place %-) but its just the alcohol.

So your definately not on your own and I think lots of people get the same type of feeling the next day but not on the same scale as us.

Even now typing I'm worrying about stuff from last night but it's goog to know we're not alone with these damn day afters! ;-)

hi no you two are not on your own. I too suffer big time when i go overboard on any alcohol. Like you i dont just get hangovers like my friends, i feel like the world is about to end or i want to run away from my body. I really believe this is an allergy in your nervous system to alcohol but be warned its an easy trap to get into that you take another drink to end the panic, but its a viscious circle and really i believe its how a lot of people become alcoholics. Drink has affected me like this since i had my 2nd baby really 13 yrs ago and has gradually got worse. I wouldnt wish the symptoms on my worst enemy the paranoia worrying did you do anything wrong, when you know you didnt.Shaking vomiting with anxiety, not being able to catch your breath. As my brother puts it waking up feelin like youve robbed a bank. MY brother and my mother are affected like this, so it must be hereditery. I use anxicalm but have had to use more and more lately to get rid of the terror. every time it happens i say ill never drink again but like you i like a beer at the end of the week funnily if i just have beer at home im fine but if i go out for a night im a wreck the next day. I actually start to panic at the thought of going for a night out. I think you and i know that the only answer is to give up drink , if it was something like bread that gave you these symptoms we wouldnt think twice about giving it up. Im glad i found this site as it helps to know that im not a freak bar my mom and brother i know nobody else this happens to, as my doc put it were just very unfortunate. Thanks guys

You guys made me feel a lot better just knowing that im not alone. I get the exact same thing. I got drunk at a wedding 2 months ago and had anxiety for about a week after. Im not an alchoholic as i rarely drink. -only at special occasions. I went to the doctor who put me on lexapro and xanax which really brought me back down to earth. However, i thought i was ok and drank at another wedding this past weekend and here i am again. Running the whole night thru my head over and over again. "what did i say? what did i do? did i look like a fool that time i danced?" and just like you said it increases after a cup of coffee or a cigarette.
I find myself quizzing my friends about my behavior even tho i didnt black out or anything like that. My nerves are shot and i know this will be gone soon but it still doesnt make me feel much better right now.
And like you said, even as im writing this im running scenarios thru my head about that night. I obsess over it and cant fall asleep at night because i cant get out of my own head. It REALLY helps to know that Im not alone here.
Thanks!

I most definately know what your all talking about..I woke up yesterday after drinking the night before and my heart was racing and I felt really sketchy like I had been on drugs the night before, but I know that was impossible...the first time i felt this way i assumed i had gotten drugged the night before but now with the number of times i have experienced it after drinking I can only assume its alcohol related..I feel depressed , emotional, my heart races and i feel like someone is smothering me its so hard to catch my breath....well at least i know im not alone on this one..kinda sucks..im actually feeling it right now ..BLAH! o.O %-)

its great to see other people with the same problem as I thought i was the only one in the world that gets the full lost weekend dts after a bottle of wine. Most people get a hangover after a night on the tear i.e sore head,tiredness and nausea.However i get all the above with Terrible prolonged anxiety, depression, Guilt, paranoia. etc Ive sort of learned to live with it but the older i get the worse it gets (27)A typical night out will leave me a complete mess for 3 days.Making the Monday morning feeling a million times worse however in the past it went a way and i looked forward to a beer the next week closing the dark circle again.It must be said that i enjoy a drink and the odd messy night out and WAS prepared to deal with the anxiety as a VERY bad sideeffect. However last night I woke up at 4 in the morning with a feeling of impending doom while i was still drunk, I was suffering terrible nightmares and strange dark thoughts my heart was racing and hasn't stopped all day. This was after 8 beers! With an impending stag weekend im dreading to think what 3 days of this will be like. Sometimes i can get v down and feel anxious when im tired but it seems alcohol is the main culprit. I would love diazapam for the really bad ones but doubt the doc will give it to me

I have this same issue. I get the most terrible panic attacks ever. I have learned that valium is a gift from heaven for these attacks but it opens the door for addiction. I would have to go to the ER without them. Weird!

omg i know how you guys are feeling. like i never drink like ever! the last time i drank was over a year ago and i never felt this way before. but the other night, 2 nights ago, i drank, not as much as i ever had but i woke up the next morning seriously feeling like sh*t. and i thought it was nothing but im still feeling it and eating makes it worse. i feel dizzy and nauseated.... what do i have? :'(

I have the same thing guys. It usually effects me for 5 days after i drank. I'm actually being affected by it right now i took off the past 2 days of work because of it. Its just a horrible feeling that i normally do not have unless i drink. I can say for sure i will never be drinking again its not worth this feeling. Does anyone know what this problem is?

hi, well glad to know im not alone with this. i hate people complaining about hangovers, let them suffer like all of us on this page do, then they would know a normal hangover is a walk in the park compared to what we suffer.
well i have read a lot about anxiety and alcohol, what i found was people with anxiety are over twice as likely to have a drink as a person without it. it relieves the symptoms while we drink, but when you stop drinking the symptoms worsen plus you have to make up for all your anxiety free time, so you get a double does the next day. from what i have read this is why we suffer so much the next day.
one thing i didnt see anywhere i looked, is if all alcoholic drinks cause this. i only drink beer, i love it but have gave it up cause it was not worth it the way i felt the days after it. would like to know if other people out there that drink wine, whiskey, or other types of drinks suffer this too or if anyone has a cure for this maybe something that helped them apart from giving up drink completely

It is Monday morning and I am home from school. I should be in school but can't seem to bring myself to go. The anxiety is to much. Saturday night I started with a bottle of wine which turned into an additional 6 pack. At the end of that 6 pack I decided to call my friends that I knew were going to the bar. Now you know where I ended up "THE BAR". Big mistake because that led to more beer. I am a wife, mother of 2. My marriage is in trouble because of my more frequent visits to the bar. I feel really guilty and sick to my stomach after I do this. So much anxiety yesterday, leading to throwing up and a whole lot of fighting. I use to think that my husband was controling and didn't want me to go out, but now I know I am the problem. Every weekend my husband and I drink but Iam the only one that wants to go out, even though I know what Iam going to feel like for the next 4 days. I realize after reading so many post that I have a drinking problem. I love beer and the feeling it gives me at the time but feel that after it robs me of who I really am. The only way to take these feeling away and keep them gone is to stop drinking I am the only one who can prevent this from happening again. I would never be able to forgive myself if my drinking and choices while drinking were the end of my marriage.

Alcohol is not something that should be taking for granted like I have been doing for many years. It is obviously spiralling out of control. I have to get back into control.

I hope you all on here find something that works for you but as for me I have to put the cap back on the bottle and learn to live my life without it.

Best of Luck :-D

i think it has to do with drinking just being negative and wrong binge drinking is wrong, but we do it cause its socializing and our friends do it, i have the same problem, but im a positive person and dont need to go out every week or dont need alcohol to make my life better... and i think some people need alcohol to make the come out their shell or to have fun... and thats why they dont have this problem,, or maybe they do but they just live with it cause theres nothing else better for them to do....

but i do really really enjoy myself on a night out,,, but most of it is fake chatter none of it is really real, its the alcohol talking and not you...
and ive come to the conclusion its that everyone feels the same, except we are the ones that dont think we need alcohol to have fun but we do it to socialize..

so what that does its makes us wonder and think of negative things we might have said or done,, because the night we just spent out in town isnt really us..

i am 34 years old and love to drink unfortunately i cant because i feel moody, unable to focus, paranoid , i feel like im in a fog for almost a week. eben if i only had two 0r three beers. none of my friends or family can relate. i feel like an id**t when i try to explain my problem to anyone. I mostly don't drink anymore and i feel good otherwise. its a curse because i would love to be like a normal person and enjoy a couple glasses of wine with no side effects but i can't. i am glad to see that there are some others out there. I work out and drink tea to get a caffeine buzz. i feel like a geek. but there are worse things in life.

HI. IM A 25 YEAR OLD MALE WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I HAVE AROUND 6 OR 7 BOTTLE OF BUD AND IT'S FOLLOWED BY TWO DAYS OF HELL. MAJOR ANXIETY AND IRREGULAR HEART BEAT WHICH HAS IN THE PAST SENT ME TO A&E. I'VE BEEN TO THE DOCS BUT THEY GIVE THE IMPRESSION THAT ITS ALL IN MY HEAD. I LOVE GOIN OUT FOR A DRINK WITH THE BOYS, SO DON'T WANT TO DO THE OBVIOUS ANSWER (STOP DRINKING). IM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS ON HOW TO EASE THE ANXIETY AS I KNOW ITS NOT SOMETHING THAT WILL GO AWAY. HAVE ANY OF YOU MANAGED TO FIND A SHORT TERM CURE??? THE ONLY THING THAT SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME IS ANOTHER DRINK BUT AS ABOVE, IN THE LONG TERM THIS DOESN'T HELP MUCH. ANY HELP WOULD BE A GREAT HELP. CHEERS

I'm 35 & have suffered from this since I was about 20, & Its gradually worsened with age.

When I start to drink (normally at the end of the week on a Friday evening or on special occasions like Birthdays, Christmas etc) I find I can now only manage 3 pints without having many symptoms in the morning, but I will have a very restless night feeling anxious/paranoid with very strange nightmares & little sleep.

I seem to have a permanent anxiousness all the time but I manage to deal with it a little after being prescribed Cipralex. But come Friday after work a drink usually helps me to relax & all anxiety goes, as the night goes on I probably drink 8 pints or more. I sleep right through the night but awake early with hell!! I cant concentrate or do anything, its like I'm brain damaged & or drugged, I'm cold one minute then hot the next, I shake, cant eat & if I do it worsens the problem as would a cigarette horrendously, I'm not able to even speak, I feel extremely paranoid/anxious of everything, emotional, I have palpitations & a tight chest & have been admitted to A&E more times than I can remember.

I have been seeing my GP about this since it started & been given many types of drugs for anxiety & depression, some were more help than others, one thing for sure is the hangovers are sometimes worse with some particular drugs. I've also been sent to social workers, psychologists etc, all of which don't understand the problem & say to stop drinking.

The only relief from the "hell" I found was when waking up to drink a beer again!! The relief was almost instant but would start to wear off after an hour so I would slowly drink 6 to 7 beers over the coarse of the day, & I could also eat with this. At about 9PM I'd go to bed & sleep for as long as possible into the next day. I found the next day that I was almost back to myself with just a slight anxiety hangover, where as normally I would be ill for 3 to 4 days, so I'd recovered quicker.

This did not always work though as sometimes I went over the 6 or 7 beers & got carried away into a full blown session which makes the next day even worse than the first hangover, this ends in a vicious circle & I've ended up drinking for 4 or 5 days in a row, each morning is worse but a drink eases the feelings. When this happened I ended up in hospital & once tried to top myself, as the "hell" was so severe I could no longer stand it.

On these extreme cases the only solution was strong doses of Diazepam which just put me to sleep for about 3 days to sleep through it all.

I come from a family of drinkers & the option of nothing at all is very difficult for me, once I recover from a session I seem to forget what hell its been & feel the need to go out for a drink & laugh at the pub, then it all happens again. I've missed so much work in the last 15 years I'm virtually part time only, normally Weds to Fri. I work for my fathers company so am lucky they put up with it, but trying to explain the condition is pointless as nobody understands.

I thought nobody else suffered this apart from me, as it was strange to my doctors.

There must be a medical explanation ?