Hello! My husband had his gall bladder removed in Oct. 2006 at the age of 31. He has had the normal adjustments to learning what he can and cannot eat. He has dealt with that well. But, there is one aspect of "this new life" that he is having a hard time with.

He has had a hard time finding anything to drink (alcohol). He has tried wine, beer, vodca, rum, and not keen on trying anything else right now do to the aftermath. It either gives him acid reflux or nasea/vomiting and sometimes both. The last bad episode was when he tried the voda. He was able to have 2 regular drinks, and then he was abliterated. He then sobered up by being up all night vomiting. Before his gall bladder was removed he very rarely got drunk. He is 6' 3", and it normally would have taken alot more than 2 drinks for him to be abliterated like that, so it barely ever happened. We have just always enjoyed having drinks together every now and then. Now, it's never. He tries, but then he dearly pays for it. The vodca situation was the only time he actually ended up getting inebriated, all of the other times he just gets so sick.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have any recommendations? Or should he just stop trying all together?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Sharebear

Sharebear- I was so relieved to read your posting-i have been so sick from alcohol consumption after my gb surgery 3 weeks ago- like i've never been sick b4. i am actually thinking of giving it up all together due to the after effects...it's just that i love my red wine (no more than 2 glasses) every once in a while. Well, that has not been a good thing...good luck to your hubby. it does truly suck and i know what he's going through :-(

When i drink i have severe pains and nausea. its almost like having a gallbladder attack all over again for me..but i dont vomit...and i have been to the doctor and he put me on nexxium which didnt help so he sent me in for a egd...and i have two spots on the inside of my stomach so they gave me medication to clear those up....but i dont know if that is what was causing the pain from the alcohol....and i am afraid to try again lol! it is way to painful....and i also only got the attacks sometimes not everytime.....its almost just not worth drinking...or go ask the doctor b/c there is probably something that can be done so he can drink....

Hello and thank you so much for your replies! Since my posting he has moved on to another type of alcohol and tried Jack Daniels (Whiskey) and diet coke, and everything was fine! He has tried it on the last 3 occassions and had no problems. Of course, he hasn't went overboard with it and drank more than a couple of drinks at a time, but it settled with no problems. We are so glad that he finally found something. We are wondering if maybe it's because the other drinks naturally have alot more sugar in them. He didn't try Jack before now as we assumed that would be the hardest on his stomach of anything, but that's certainly not the case.
I hope you guys are as fortunate! I would be interested to know if it worked for you, too!

After acute pancreatitis and removal of gallbladder, why is the patient advised not to drink alcohol and is this for a limited time?

I had my gallbladder removed after severe inflammation of the gall bladder due to one of the gallstones that got stuck

this was in march of 2007.. I have not had any serious problems, except headaches after drinking any type of acholic drink

I have had vodka, whiskey, brandy but not beer the last few months.
I usually drink a lot of water after each sip.. earlier I used to drink on the rocks and rarely drink any water or coke

I did notice that I had headachnes more often even after drinking a couple of shots.. earlier I could drink 4-5 shots and have no hangover headache..

I read that alcohol induces more insulin to be secreted which inturn reduces the blood sugar and if the brain cells do not get the fructose they need then the head ache starts as a warning.. I decided to try my own remdey for this and drank a full can of coke (not diet coke) after 2 shots of liquor .. this seems to work very well and I have not had any problems with headache so far.
I have safely had 2shots of smirnoff + 2 shots of henessey + 2 shots of jack d single barrel one night + ofcouse 3 cans of coke.. I did this only once though..

so it looks like different people have different reactions to the gall bladder surgery..

do try artichoke tablets two hours befour you drink the change is incredible

AHHH!! I have always loved my beer,...wine,...mixed drinks,....does anyone have any good stories??? I am scared to try a beer now. I have been able to tolerate different foods,..hotdogs,..pizza,..cheese sticks three days after my surgery but that really makes me nervous to try a drink. What did you do to relieve yourselves or did it just take time to get through it,...if so how long. Was the pains sharp,...cramps,....flu like,....help me out fellow Gall Bladderless family! Seems we are a growing number now.
Also,...is it normal for the pains to be in your sides for two weeks or longer? When does the pain leave your belly button???

i had the worst experience 2 weeks after my surgery. I thought it would be ok to drink a daquiri or two for the fourth at friends place. Well i might have drank three or four cups but I have not been that drunk and that sick in probably 20 years. Everything began to spin like an amusement ride, I threw up, then passed out on the bed for two hours. I was so sick I am just now beginning to feel normal again. For 2 to 3 days after the 4th I was physically ill my stomach hurt and nothing helped. My head hurt for days it was a nightmare. If I would have known that would happen I never would have drank that day. Granted, I don't drink very often, but I don't know what was in that daquiri or if it was because of my gallbladder surgery!!??

Not sure what the association would be, but Ihad my gallbladder removed and drank two days later, just beer that is, and had no significant problems. Keep in mind everyone is different, and our bodies respond in all sorts of weird ways, but the gb removal and alcohol correlation no in my case.

I had my gallbladder removed 3.5 months ago. Prior to it's removal, I could handle alcohol (few drinks) with no problem. Ever since having it removed when I do drink I have very simular experience (severe spinning, passing out, sick for 2-3 days following, and a two day headache). There doesn't seem to be a difference between beer or mix drinks. I do miss being able to just relax and have a drink with my husband however it's not worth giving up the next few days and feeling like c**p. Good luck!

I am so relieved to find that others are experiencing the alcohol intolerance as well. I had my gallbladder removed september of 2005. I don't drink alcohol very often, and when I drink, I only have 2 drinks over the course of an entire evening. Since my surgery, I cannot handle even 2 drinks. I am feeling totally sober one minute and the next minute I am blackout drunk, cannot stand up, heavy vomiting. My hangover will last 3-4 days with severe nausea and vomiting, numb, tingly arms and legs, headache from He**. I don't trust myself to have more than a couple of sips for fear of my husband having to take me to the hospital. I am embarassed to talk to my doctor about it because the easy answer he will give me is to avoid alcohol all together. I am only 29 years old and wish I could have a drink once in awhile for special occasions.

I had my gallbladder removed just over 2 years ago and experience provblems w/ excess bile in my stool if I have anything overly greasy. 3 times in the past year I've had too much to drink and end up vomiting for 3 hours each time. I puke to severely that my ribcage ends up hurting days aferwards, like they were bruised. And after the first hour, there's normally nothing coming up but saliva and lots of bile. It's better than the gall stones and easier to control, but it's difficult to control the amount you drink once you've dived in.

Hey, I was reading some of these messages and have a few words of advice. I had my gallbladder removed when i was 15 due to gallstones and now am 24. After my surgery I had no problems except for occasional cramps after large greasy meals. Fast forward years later and it is a lot harder to keep control over. My problems started around my third year of college and got worse over time. Alcohol never seemed to affect me negatively after surgery (and I drank plenty being a college student away from home) but some may want to look at what they are eating before drinking and what you are drinking. You have to remember that everything you eat is not wholesome and being consumed by all the bile in your tummy so if you are eating a value meal or easily digestable things before you drink this is probably why you are getting so sick. Also, I tend to do better with brown liquiors instead of clear. As far as cramping and things like that I have found with diet and exercise it really does help. I use to be like everyone else and eat lunch never breakfast and then eat something quick and convenient for dinner this landed me in the bathroom most days multiple times a day. Since then I looked at my diet and started realizing that it wasn't I could not eat fast food or chinese food or mexican food or spicy food or salads it was that I had to eat better at least some of the time. Now my diet consisits of eating 5 fruits and veggies a day all before dinner as breakfast and lunch basically I snack all day. I can make a smoothie for breakfast and knockout two fruits before lunch. I only do this monday thru friday and then on the weekend I eat what I want. For dinner I can eat what I want but just through eating raw fruits and veggies it keeps my bathroom trips and horrible cramping and bloating to a minimum. And of course everyone knows here that the worst pain comes after you do not eat for hours on end then decide to eat a huge greasy meal.

It's nice to see that I am not alone! I could drink more alcohol than any man I've ever known before my gallbladder surgery. I had my surgery one month ago. I've had at most a couple glasses of wine since the surgery. The other evening I went out with friends and had about 5 good size glasses of red wine stretched out over hours but it was the worst "SICK" I've ever had! I watch what I eat and know what to eat and what not to eat so that wasn't the problem. When I started feeling sick, I had indeed had a slight headache for a couple hours. I started vomiting uncontrollably from that night and ALL of the next day. I vomited a yellow substance when I had nothing left in my stomach. I could sip on water or gaterade and would violently vomit afterwards and lets not forget the diarrhea. I honestly thought I may have contracted a virus or something but now after reading online, I believe it was the alcohol. It's so weird, before my surgery, I could put two bottles of wine away ez and not be falling down drunk and definitely not sick. And, I still don't feel 100% well and it's been two days now. Hopefully will feel better tomorrow.