Hi, six months ago I have stopped breastfeeding my baby and started giving him the formula. Everything was fine until three days ago when he developed some kind of a rash. The doctor did some tests and said that my son is allergic to soy. That confused me because I wasn't giving him soy milk. The doctor told me that baby food has soy proteins in it. He also mentioned that soy can be found in a large number of products. Do you know what those products are?

Hi, soy is one of the most common allergens. Your baby's immune system looks to soy proteins as a threat to your son's organism and react to them. This reaction causes the rash on your son's skin. Your son did not have an allergic reaction for the first couple of months because his immune system was identifying the soy proteins as threat. When enough antibody molecules were made, the immune system began to react. The difficulty with soy allergies is the fact that a great number of products, that you are not aware of, contain soy proteins under different names. For instance ice creams, frozen deserts, margarine, breakfast cereals and mayonnaise have soy proteins in them. I think that the best thing to do would be to talk to an allergy specialist who will give you the list of all the products that can cause allergic reaction in your son.