Hi people

I am a 49 year old male who was diagnosed with cervical arthritis with a bone spur at the C-4 and C-5 level about 4 years ago. I was also in an automobile accident at about this same time. I've also had Tourette's Syndrome since I was a child and have frequent (and sometimes violent) head/neck tics (which probably doesn't help matters).

Anyway, I don't know if these are "flare-ups" or if they even have anything to do with arthritis which is why I am posting here today - to see if anyone else can relate to these symptoms.

When I get these flare-ups (if that's what they are). I tend to get random aches and pains in various parts of my body (sometimes they are debilitating) . A few years ago the pain was in the back of my neck with lots of pain, soreness, inflammation and crunching sounds when I'd turn my head. After a period of feeling pretty good, I had another bout but this time the pain was in my upper back (on the right side) and I ended up in the ER. Sometimes after being in a certain postion for too long, if I suddenly turn my head, I can feel/hear a clicking sound and then the pain shoots through my neck.

After another period of feeling good and trying to get on with life, I now find myself with yet another bout of this which has lasted for 4-5 days so far. It started with pain in the back of my head near the base of my skull (on the right side where one of the occipital nerves are located). This pain  would get worse when I moved my head. The pain eventually spread down the back/right side of my neck all the way into my right shoulder blade and sometimes it affects both arms. Sometimes the pain crosses over into the front of my neck/throat where I get little aches and other sensations. Soemtimes it feels like my right ear is starting to ache or I get an "icy-hot" feeling that occurs in my neck, shoulders or upper-back. Other times I become sensitive to the  cold. I'm guessing that this is all a combination of symptoms, referred pain and/or inflammation(?).

Anyway, I've had all kinds of tests, seen lots of different specialists, etc, and almost everything always seems to come back "normal". I've been using Ben-Gay for the pain lately but that's about it.

Could someone please shed some light on this and also tell me if you can relate to any (or all) of this and perhaps share your own experience a little bit?. It's really got me freaked out and I just don't know what to do anymore.

Thanks so much, BlueBird

I also have c4-c5 cervical arthritis, and pain at the base of my skull on the right side. I have had MRI, CT scan and have seen a ENT and a neurologist. For the last 6 months, everytime I turn my head I hear this "clicking", "grinding" at the base of my skull. 

I get neck pain, headaches and dizziness. Found out that I have lost 56 % of the vestibular response in my right ear, probably due to a viral infection at some point throughout the year. It's damaged, and it wont ever re-heal. Usually, the body can mend itself on it's own and make up for the vestibular damage that has occurred, in my case it hasn't.

I go to a vestibular therapist who helps me retrain my brain with exercises to compensate for the right ear damage.

I feel this is not related to my headaches, or the "clicking", "grinding" in my neck.

The neurologist has also diagnosed me with cluster headaches (the worst of the head pain you can have). I personally think I have damaged the tendons or ligaments in my neck, and possibly the occipital and transgeminal nerve. I had a nerve block in the the two creases at the base of my neck, made a HUGE difference in all areas. It is a cocktail of cortisone, freezing and something else - made a huge improvement in my life!!! The only down side, it only lasted 1.5 months and most neurologists will only administer every 3 months.

Clicking, grinding, pain all stopped within 4 hours of the injection 

I also have bad posture, which causes lot's of trapeze tension in my neck and head (the muscle runs up the neck and into the base of skull),  see a physiotherapist and do lot's of exercises.