My daughter occasionally experiences a "popping" and then "burning" sensation in her head...near the back, but off to the left a little. She says that at the same time it's burning her head it feels like someone is pushing down on her tongue. She's fine afterward, and it lasts only a couple of seconds, but obviously I'm concerned. She's 10 years old, and is possibly a carrier of strep, but I can't imagine how that would be relevant. Our GP didn't seem concerned...any help?

I have a 5 year old daughter that also complains of popping in the back part of her head. She cries and grabs her head when this happens. Just wondering if anyone has had this before.

I am 20 years old and have been having the same popping sensation occur in the back left side of my head since I was six. While my tongue has never felt heavy, I do get the "burning" sensation. It feels like a warm liquid moving around in the back of my head and while it isn't really painful it is quite uncomfortable.

My doctor has never heard of anything like it and has asked me to keep a log of when it happens, what I was doing at the time, my mental state at the time, and what side effects come with it (blurred vision, trouble speaking and so on, which I have never had).

I just logged my first entry and I guess I would suggest that you guys keep a log of the incidents as well and then present them to your doctors.

These pops don't happen very often to me, maybe once or so every month (if that) and have always occured while I was moving my head.

If anyone else has other information on this condition I would be interested in hearing about it.

Also, I have been having some discomfort on the left side of my neck just above the collar bone and next to my throat. I am curious if anyone else who has had these pops occur have also had such pain.

I just so happen to run into a nurse who has had the same condition. She says that bad posture can cause neck tension which results in the popping feelings in the back of the head where the muscles connect. She claimed that it was nitrogen bubbles that pop and suggested that I exercise my upp back more and do neck streches.

I am 28 years old and have had a "popping" in my head since I was 18. At first it would rarely happen and I could count how many times it was actually happening. Sometimes I would feel pain and sometimes I wouldn't, but I could definitely FEEL and HEAR the pop. It is always in the FRONT TOP RIGHT side of my head. Now it happens so frequently that I have lost count. Sometimes I have an intense pain that goes down into my neck. Most of the time it is just little pops, but it scares me when it happens. I have told many of my doctors and they just blow it off. Could this be something serious?

Sorry, I just completely pasted the wrong message and I don't feel like writing the right one again. Please delete that message if you could.
Brief statement: I'm 30 with the same issue all my life and I have no clue what or what it is. I'm wondering if a CAT scan would be helpful or if anyone has talked to or knows a neurologist???

Yea, the popping is annoying. Continuous feeling of pressure building and then dissipating.

I started to get the popping in my head along with OCD five years ago. Though it probably just is coincidence and they are totally unrelated.

Hi, I'm 16 and have had the popping in my head for as long as I can remember. I was born with a bracheioplexus injury and almost had scoliosis(sp?) so my mother and I always blew it off as pinched nerves. I used to only get them around once a month or something like that, and they never really hurt, recently I've started getting them about 12 times a day, and they've gotten so bad that I've had to stop what I'm doing and hold my head to stop from screaming. They happen in the back-left side of my head, and I've felt back there and I have a flat spot there, I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but when they happen my entire left side of my face goes numb. I'm going to see a chiropractor, but it seems to me that it could be pretty serious.

I had what I call a popping noise in my head last night and started doing some research on it today. I am a 29 year old male. I was laying in bed and what I would describe as a bubble being popped, or the sound your lips make when they are moist and you open your mouth quickly. This was followed by a sudden and painful headache.

Is this what others are referring too?

My wife thought I was doing something to annoy her and after 20-30 seconds of this occurring and me insisting that it was not something that I was intentionally doing she rolled over and watched and listened as it continued to happen for another 30 seconds. We are both very worried as to what this may be. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I been haveing somewhat the same issue.

it this popping think occurs once in a while like when your ears pop but like in my head, it feels like its about 2 the tingle u get when it feels like popping,ITS hard to explain but it is annoying and

is there a cure for it? it just recently happend

I am 25 years old. I have this popping in my head. I have been diagnosed with lyme disease. - Something for you to think about.

I am 33 and have been experincing this for years. I have stopped going to the doctor because she thinks it is panic or something else. It is VERY scary because you do get anxious that it is something more serious. There is definately a warming sensation afterwards and sometimes the mild headache. It is so nice to read that others have the same issues. I am interested to hear any more suggestions as to what this might be and how to avoid it.

Hello everyone,
6 years ago I sustained a head trauma as a result of repeated kicks to the brain stem area. Along with the neck injury came a strange symptom. Due to (i'm going to guess) muscle spasms, I would pop in the left side of my neck as if when I moved it beyond a particular range of motion. It would immediately be followed by a burning pain (pretty debilitating) that would result in temporary numbing in the center of my tongue. It felt as though it was very heavy or the sensation that it was being pushed down. All told, would last about one minute and eventually slowed down in frequency. At the time, the neurologist (Yale affiliated, and supposed to be good) scratched his head with my report of these symptoms. My neck was not directly the issue at the time, they seem to focus more on brain trauma. Since then, I have developed a worsening (degenerative disc) condition in which a couple of discs are protruding into my spinal cord. My physicians believe that the spinal cord compression is playing a part in symptoms because the cranial nerve #12 affects the sensory/motor functioning of your tongue. I am still testing and pushing the issue. They really underestimated the power of the spinal cord as it applies to some more uncommon symptoms. I have also presented with chronic muscle twitches/shocks (myoclonus) that they thought were potentially seizure related. Wrong! Also, spinal cord related. Be proactive and get a consult for what could be a disc issue. Hope this helps. ;-)

I am 30 yrs old and have been having this popping sensation in the back left side of my head since I was a little girl. It is a sharp pain/burning and at the same time my tongue feels really heavy in the back. It only last for maybe 30 seconds and happens while I am moving. I recently mentioned this to a doctor and he just blew it off like it was nothing to worry about. I now see that others also have these symptoms which confirms that I am not over-reacting...but does anyone know what this is? Should I be getting an MRI?

I didn't realize how odd of a condition it was. When i sometimes throw something really hard the back left side of my head will pop and its like a burning sensation and it doesn't last very long. it scares me because i dont want to turn a blind eye that could lead to something more severe

it doesn't happen that often, but enough to where i would like some answers, but no one seems to know anything.