I have been having a problem for 5 weeks now with a sudden onset of a stiff neck. The pain is primarily on the right side of the neck and can, at times, extend into the head at ear level. I went to my doctor who did a general checkup and noticed also that my right ear inside was bright red and my throat was somewhat red. Neither hurt. About a year ago I started having some ear ringing in my right ear that comes and goes and varies in intensity. Also noticed my ear pops more than it use to with slight elevation changes. I was given an antibiotic for the ear, Flonaise and an anti-inflamatory for the neck. Its been a week and no changes in the neck. The pain in the neck is primarily in moves from side to side, mostly when turning to the right and various in intensity from annoying to painful. It almost seems to spasm though I'm not sure that is the correct way to prescribe the varying pain. I'm 49, good health and work out doing cardio daily. Do any of these symptoms in combination give you any idea what may be going on? I'm ready to call the doctor back and ask for next steps or if I should see eye, ear, throat dr. Thanks

i am having the exact same symptoms

Me too.

My dentist discovered a failed root canal on that side, which had gone to abscess. Prescribed antibiotics, which have helped somewhat, but whenever I cough, that whole area from behind my right ear and down my neck spasms. The pain is quite intense. But only following coughing.

I have been waking up in the morning with excruciating pain just under my ear in my neck. I also have some sinus drainage. My ear on that side seems stopped up. I thought most glands were in the front of the neck? Could this be realated? The neck feels swollen just where the skull turns under the back of the ear.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO YOU.
I AM HAVING THE SAME THING HAPPENING TO ME AND THE DOCTOR THINKS ITS MY HEART.
I REALLY DON'T THINK SO.
WHAT DID YOU FIND

All the postings have the same symptoms........as I also have. It's the neck pain, like gland pain, just at the base of the ear, under the jaw. Went to the doctor today, as I was feeling positively awful after a week of this. My whole ear canal was swollen and infected. Got antibiotic ear drops and oral antibiotics. This is a potentially serious infection......don't wait any longer. See your doctor, or go to a walk-in clinic, and ask the doctor to check out your ear canal.

I started with stiff neck pain down the back side of my right ear. when turning. I have a popping in my right ear. I am experiencing slight drainage in the back of my throat. I have a pain occasionally running up the back of my head. I have a distinct noise in the back of my head when I turn my neck, which is best described as the noise "squishy wet shoes" would make when walking. The pain has gotten worse and now is on the left side also. Recently the pain in the morning upon waking is radiating slightly down across both shoulders in the back. This has been getting worse for months. At times the area behind both ears is painful to the touch. Any idea what is going on?

I have had a recurring ear infection that turned into Mastoiditis. The doctor gave me the all clear, but now, on the side that got infected, I have a painful throbbing below my ear, on my neck, and around my ear. I had it looked at by an ENT and he said that it looked find, and perhaps it was scar tissue. But now, my ear feels plugged up and stuffed.
I dont have a fever, but would like the constant pain to go away.

This is may help. I have the same problem.

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-Adult-Ear-Infection?&id=40680

I was in a accident involving back neck and head in January 08. Since then I have had all the above symtoms and have been to the doctors and hospital several times. Im never been given an answer, however percocets seem to take all the pain away lol. I just had a ct done because of this reason, so waiting to see whats going on.

My sister had similar symptoms, she was just rushed to the er. It turnes out she has meningitis. Very dangerous and scary stuff!

Could be your thyroid. Having you been feeling extremely tired with no energy and some headaches. Ask for a thyroid test to check levels.

I am too and it is not my thyroid.

Hello all. Read up on allergies. All of these symptoms can be from an allergy to store bought milk. Don't believe me because you've never noticed lactose symptoms? Do some research into this area. Stop drinking pasteurized milk for a month, see what it does for you. Just because a doctor claims an organ isn't needed doesn't mean they're correct.

My suggestion would be to go see a chiropractor. They work wonders.