Hi, can anyone give me a clue as to why I am suffering from sudden sharp head pain above and behind my right ear? It has only occurred in the last couple of days. The pain is coming often, sometimes several times a minute, its very sharp, makes me wince and catch my breath and is then gone. There is no warning and is worrying me. The area is beginning to feel bruised, without being poked about. Sometimes, the pain shoots into the neck down behind my ear. Generally I am in good health, I am of average weight, 36 yrs old and I smoke about 5-10 cigarettes per day. I have been quite tired recently and have noticed in the last couple of weeks some muscle and joint soreness and stiffness (iv'e put down to arthritic or rheumatic pain), especially in my hands, back and neck - not dehabillitating, but quite sore. I hope someone can put my mind at rest that none of these symptoms are connected and the sudden onset of these sharp headache pains is just stress or something similarly normal? Oh, and I do have a cough from a nasty cold with fluish type symptoms which I got in China at the end of August - the cough never completely cleared up, but I guess that is down to the smoking.... I know the answer to that one, but anyone who wants to tell me to stop, please feel free!! Maybe it will help push me into it...! thanks to anyone who can help with the headaches!

Hi, I am experiencing something very similar and I'm quite concerned about it...can we talk more? I am a 33 year old female, my Dr. just diagnosed Trigeminal Neuralgia, very scary, not sure I agree.

Please let me know if you'd like to talk more?

Thanks,

Tina

Hi-

I am actually experiencing the same thing right now... It just started yesterday. I was at work and i began to experience a sharp pain that would come every few minutes behind my right ear acompanied by an ear ache and slight fever. I've been feeling my head as well, and it feels almost bruised though i have not bumped it.

I went to the doctor yesteday and he gave me antibiotics for a sinus infection that he feels is behind this pain. I am a 30year old woman as well.

Lets talk and try to find some answers together.

I have been having this same problem going on almost 4 years now. I've tried physiotherapy (dry needling) chiropractors, nerve blocking (injections in the back of my head - very uncomfortable) various drugs, painkillers anti-inflammatories, codiene, and more recently gabapentin (nuerontin). The growing consensus is that it is a nerve issue, some form of neuralgia, although definately NOT trigeminal. The next few steps will involve cutting each of the nerves in the cluster they believe to be causing them, one by one until they find which one it is. Then maybe they can trace it to the cause. Most people believe it is caused by either damage to the muscle from poor posture and/or car accidents (scar tissue from whiplash) after 4 years i can see why they call it the suicide disease, as once it gets to a point where people can't manage the pain, often thats what happens. Fortunately i've had considerable success with anti-inflammatories. (advil liquid gels are my friend)

i will post if i ever figure out what this thing is, and if it is neuralgia, if anything ever gets done to eliminate the pain

I've had a similar pain since I was just a kid. I'm 39 now and I get that pain once in a while. I've just learned to not focus on the pain and it soon goes away. This leads me to think it might be related to stress or something... I don't know. But don't worry too much about it. It is quite normal. You're not going to die... I've had it for decades.

I am having sharp pains above my right ear. I was just drinking a iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts and I was about halfway thru with the coffee and I started having these pains. I also am experiencing mild drowsiness as well.

I am starting to think it was from the caffeine in the coffee as I am also feeling nervous as I type this. Please note that I am on several Psychiatric drugs. I will list them.
1- Trileptal
2- Clonazepam
3- Geodon
4- Vyvanse (some form of Adderall)

I am also having slight not major palpatations in my heart.
I am 20 years old and I do smoke 6-8 cigs per day. I do not take any other types of illegal drugs. Nor do I abuse my medicine. I might try taking some Clonazepam as that always seem to chill me out.

Please someone let me know what this could be about. If my assumption is correct about the caffeine then to be quite honest it doesn't worry me that much. But I don't want to take a chance.

Thanks.

I also get this weird pain in my head. It always is worse in the morning and I frequently wake up with this stabbing pain on the left side of my head towards the top. Also it is near my left ear and it feels like a sharp knife like pain like something is pushing out. Also I get a pulse like feeling where I can feel this pronounced pulse from my heart in this area. It's very weird, and I have looked up all the symptoms for brain tumors, and of course it does sound like that also. I do not get dizzy, or sick, I just have this annoying pain that last through the day. I do have many neck issues, and problems so I wonder if that is a culprit. Anyone else have this problem, before I run to the doctor.

I am reading all of the symptoms about stabbing pain to right side of head but don't see any reply's advising what this is. I suspect sinus. I have had these pains off and on now for two weeks. I get a little tinnitis and the right side of my neck feels stiff and sore. Do I have a brain anuerysm or is it just a sinus blockagee or infection??? Hurts a lot when it comes on. I have been under a huge amount of stress at work lately. This is when the pain started... Posture?

I have been getting a sharp, almost electrical, pain behind my right ear for a number of years. I saw a number of Doctors about this, from a Neurologist to even Dentists - without any success. Then a GP suggested I try Vitamin B12 injections. It really worked ! Apparently Vit B12 works in the same way as Neurontin, strengthening the nerve "insulation"

Hi Trek78,

It sounds more like a neck issue or maybe TMJ to me. Neverthless, at least a GP visit would be useful. Good Luck.

Does anybody get the pain in the ear that they normally hold their cell phone to?

I woke up last night with severe pain in my right ear. It lasted about 5 hours then subsided when I finally got out of bed. I have had this happen to me a few times in the past, but it always went away within a few minutes. Last night it lasted so long so I went to the doctor today and of course she said nothing was wrong, or that it might be caused by allergies. I don't have allergies. The pain was so bad I was almost in tears. It's gone now but I want to know what caused it. I've heard that it could be tmj.

Its nice to read this and realize that Im not the only person who has this problem. I have suffered from this occasionally for at least the last ten years. I get a sharp pain on the hard boney area just behind the right ear. It will normally start in the evening or overnight and can last anything from a couple of hours to twenty-four hours. Its always on the right-hand side (as I've noticed everybody here has said). It appears to happen totally randomly, sometimes I will have three or four in a short space of time and the nothing for six months or more. I've never been able to identify the sightest thing that could be a trigger for this. The pain varies in intensity, but the area feels tender and aches all the time with a stabbing pain the comes and goes.

I would so love for somone to suggest a diagnostic. I have asked a few doctors over the years but none have been able to help.

I experienced this pain and got pretty concerned. One morning the pains woke me up at 3am and the severity of them really concerned me. More than I've ever been concerned about my health before. I'm very healthy and haven't had major issues with my health. The Holy Spirit reminded me about why we go through pain. It's so we can pray for others. The pain you all and I experience is the same and more than ever we need to pray for each other. I pray for your salvation and health and a deeper relationship with our Lord Jesus!!! I lift the ladies in these comments up to the Lord after every pain I have. If God is using my pain right now so that I will pray for you, then so be it. I don't think the pain is anything more than stress. We women stress more than we really need to about things that are just out of our control. I only had 3-5 light pains in my head today and I'm convinced that it's because I'm releasing more and more into God's hands and using this pain for the Lord's glory.

Well, I don't usually read these kind of forums, and it has been an eye opener, I can tell you.... It's seriously depressing reading the ins and outs of everyone's ailments.

Today I had the same symptoms, so decided to research to find answers, which this forum has given but not in the way I had envisaged.

1) I had blocked ears about a week ago, for one day, which made me feel quite dizzy.
2) I have been sneezing for three days - not a full blown cold just lots of sneezing and a runny nose on and off.
3) I had a whiplash injury a few years ago.

All the above are very minor symptoms in the great gamut of illness and diseases humans can experience and, tbh, I don't think there is much there to worry about :-)

But my deductions in the role of Supersleuth are that this is a combination of poor drainage of the sinus behind the ear, possibly exacerbated by the whiplash injury which has been playing up recently. And if it doesn't go then off to the docs I will trott.

Now, please go and have some fun - if you are stressing about your illnesses please stop, and see a doctor if you really are at all worried....

The mind is a fantastic healer, if only we would believe in it, and all the time one focuses on illness and pain, it just makes things worse. Instead, imagine the problem getting better, i.e. if the sinus is blocked, then visualize it draining and clearing.

For goodness sake don't troll around these forums: they are sure to make you feel bad indeed....

Feeling better already. Easy Peasy. GL all.