I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis in 1967 at age 34..confirmed by biopsy from my lymph nodes. Eventually things settled down. Now at age 73 I have recently had a flare up. At least thats what it appears to be. I had a strange rash on my chest and a dry cough. Chest xray showed changes from chest xray in 2005 altho I know there were granuloma's in that xray too but the dr. did not think it was important. I also had CT scan after this last chest xray and went to pulmonary dr. He has told me he feels its the sarcoidosis and not TB, lung cancer or lymphoma. I am on a steroid inhaler which is causing me to have a sore throat..even though I am rinsing after each use. I had Shingles in 2005..and in 2007 I had the zoster vaccine. It was after the vaccine that I started with the rash and cough altho I had had a dry cough for a while before that. Does anyone now if the zoster vaccine or shingles themselves plays into any part of Sarc. ?
Thanks

I am 60 years old and have suffered with Sarcoidosis for eight years. It has never let up at all. My Sarcoidosis is not in the lungs but started with a rash on my chest and arms and then turned into nodgles on my hands, feet, ears and knees. When I hit my hands or anything touches the nodgles, I feel excrutiating pain. The rash had not returned until a couple of days ago, a rash started on my chest and left arm. It was extremely painful. I went to the Doctor today and he diagnosed it as Shingles.

I am now wondering if Shingles and Sarcoidosis are related diseases. There are very few studies on Sarcoidosis as it is not a money making disease and therefore the phamacudical companies don't pay for studies on diseases of this type. I will be going to my Internist for my annual check up and will ask if he knows if there is a connection.

I have never taken steroids of any kind as my Internist feels it could do more harm to my organs than good. After eight years of this, I am starting to think about taking the steroids anyway.

EBOB

I have Sarcoidosis on both lungs since 1996, and two biopsy both lungs, never smoked on steroids everyday for last 3 years and also get bronchitis very often and also I had the Zostavax shot at age 60 and had shingles 6-8 times since. I had them in Mar, Apr and I have them as we speak for third time in three months. Sarcoidosis casused immune system to catch anything going or coming and steroids affect the immuse system. I have just learnded to live with it and move on, but slow with my life. I was to get double lung transplants but to this day I have not got it, and its been 4 years now and God will give me what he thinks I should have and that is all I can do.

I was told that with my sarc lowering my immune system I should not get the shingles shot,problem is I had already gotten it 9 months ago and now I have shingles,have an appointment with my thorasic surgeon to see if it is spreading internally to my lungs