Hi. I`m 34 and recently I have experienced some lack of energy, shortness of breath, dry cough and certain pains. My doc told me that I have an immune system disorded and I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. No direct cause was found. I would like to know some details about the treatment.

Hi. Prednisone is the standard treatment for many years. This treatment can slow or reverse the course of sarcoidosis, but some patients don`t respond to steroid therapy. You should know that the use of corticosteroids for treating sarcoidosis is controversial. Corticosteroids have many recognized dose and duration-related side effects. Anyway, severe symptoms of sarcoidosis have generally been treated with steroids, and steroid-sparing agents. Also, there has been some indications of successful use of immunosuppressants, but they haven`t provided reliable treatment. Antibiotic therapy is effective for lung, lymph and cutaneous manifestations of sarcoidosis.