My daughter is 22 years old and she has just been diagnosed with pituitary tumor. It is macro adenoma which has been determined after several tests and examinations. Doctors recommend an operation but I am not thrilled with that solution, I am not even for the pills. Are complementary therapies effective in treating pituitary tumors?

So far, complementary methods for dealing with this problem did not show much success. But every patient has a right to choose its method of treatment. On the other hand, every doctor should advise the patient with the best solution for his or hers medical problem. This means that operation might be necessary, no matter what you think of it.

Question for orelee950-what did you decide to do for your daughter and what was the outcome? My daughter is 18 with the same diagnosis.

Otho, your reply is irresponsible at best - by one simple comment you are black-banning a huge range of modalities, and condemning everyone to accept their 'fate' - the 'alternatives' offer a focused treatment for each patient rather than a blanket cover for everyone.

Depending upon symptoms, age, particular features, associated symptoms, history and family illness, just to start the list off, the choice of treatment is made.

That can range from laser therapy, to homoeopathic nosodes depending upon area of body affected, allergy clearing, viral history, supplementation, identifying deficiencies or abundances, herbal specifics - how can any scientific theory of 'no, they just don't work' make any sense? As a naturopath, nurse and with over 20 years experience, including family and friends, plus animals, my own results (let alone those of my collegues) cannot be dismissed with such silly statements.

I am sorry to those posing the questions, I hope you did not take this 'advice' to heart - please continue in your quest and don't be fooled - either by 'experts' or those just wanting to make money. But bear in mind, orthodoxy is subsidised to the hilt whilst alternatives, while not being as expensive as accepted medicine, still costs providers and cannot be free, no matter how many we try to treat as cheaply as possible (in my case, many so-called 'terminal' cases I do treat for free or next to nothing. Please, do your own homework, get on a reputable site and don't listen to such dismissive comments! There are tests available - off the topoff my head - infra-red imaging, interro, vega, live blood analysis - which all provide such extensive details about each individual, and tell you straight up what is suitable and what is not, that it is just not possible to say 'the results are not promising...'

I have had a pituatary tumor for 10 years now and have been taking medication call parledol. I feel fine and in canada they do not do surgery until your vision is effected,slur speech etc...no need to have it remove if its not causing any problems. I have an mri yearly to ensure everything is good

MY DAUGHTER WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A PITUATARY TUMOR IN HER LATE 20'S AFTER SHE HAD HER SECOND CHILD. I CAN'T IMAGINE...SAYING..." I'M NOT FOR ( MEDICAL TREATMENT) I AGREE, THE LAST COURSE OF TREATMENT ON THE PITUATARY GLAND WOULD BE SURGERY...IF ITS NOT DONE RIGHT...IT CAN CAUSE MORE TROUBLE THAN THE TUMOR ITSELF WAS CAUSING. BUT, IF MY DAUGHTER DECIDED THAT WAS GOING TO BE HER COURSE OF TREATMENT...SO BE IT. I KNOW A PERSON THAT HAD THE SURGERY...THEY DIDNT GET THE WHOLE TUMOR. ITS CAUSED HER LIFE HELL. JUST THE TINY BIT THEY LEFT BEHIND. BUT, IN SOME CASES...ESPECIALLY IN CUSHINGS WHEN THE VISION IS BEING AFFECTED...THEY MAY BE NO OTHER CHOICE. MY DAUGHTER HAS THE PROLACTINOMA TUMOR. SHE TAKES ONE PILL A WEEK. HER PROLACTIN LEVEL IS BACK TO NORMAL...THE TUMOR ISNT COMPLETELY GONE..BUT, THE DOC SAID IT COULD TAKE UP TO 5 YEARS. I CAN'T IMAGINE A MOTHER...DOING THIS TO THEIR CHILD. YES, WE ALL KNOW THAT DOCTORS MAKE MISTAKES...SOME PILLS SURGERY WHATEVER WAS A BAD CHOICE....BUT HOW MANY CHILDREN HAVE DIED BECAUSE A " PARENT" WANTED TO PLAY WITCH DOCTOR...WITH THEIR CHILDREN.

MY DAUGHTER IS ON A MEDICATION FOR HER TUMOR ( PROLACTINOMA) SHES BEEN ON IT A LITTLE OVER A YEAR. HER PROLACTIN LEVEL IS BACK TO NORMAL. I'M JUST NOT SURE WHAT THE MEDICATION IS CALLED. DO YOU TAKE ONE PILL A WEEK? DO YOU HAVE OTHER ISSUES? THAT MAYBE YOU ARENT RELATING TO YOUR TUMOR? LIKE...GASTRO PROBLEMS...SKIN DISORDERS, ETC?

I took birth control pills for about 18 years. When I was 37, I noticed my breast was leaking white "milk". The dr. told me my doctor was reacting as if I was pregnant b/c my hormones was all confused due to me taking the pills for so long. Luckily enough, my tumor is relatively small and my vision is good. Every month I have blood drawn to check my PROLACTIN levels, every year I have a MRI and a "field" vision test done. The medicine I take is 2 tiny pills twice a week. I am happy to report that my tumor has not grown in size, the milk stoppd leaking and no problems with my vision. It boils down to the size of your tumor. If its of size whereas it's pressing against your an eye vessel, then it can lead to blindness if not removed. In some cases when surgery is needed, based on the size, it can be removed from your nose or actually head surgery.

I don't know if this will help at all but it may put your mind at ease a little on the medication front. I am twenty and I live in the UK. I was given the same diagnosis and I have been on a medication called Cabergoline to lower my prolactin levels. Surgery was offered to me as an option however I tried the medication first and it has worked wonders for me. I feel so much better and the symptoms I had before (headaches, poor vision, lactation etc) have all gone after about 5 months and there was no need for surgery. 

The only side effect I experienced (and I know there can be many with this medication!) was a bit of depression during the course of the treatment. 

I understand how difficult this must be for you and your daughter, my thoughts are with you both. I hope everything works out ok. 

Hi
did you have prolactinoma or a non functioning tumor?

Dear friend,
Thank you for this post I am really encouraged! about a year now I have been diagnose with pituitary tumor and i have been offered surgery that i am still not able to make decision. My prolactin level is gone very high but I have no problem with my vision at all. Please can you tell me I can get this medication? i am based in the UK, and will be very grateful if I can find this medication. I look forward to hear from you. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use