Can I drive after receiving dilation eye drops? How long will I have to wait before I can drive? I'm worried that I won't be able to see, but I don't have a friend to drive me after the appointment. Maybe I can ask the doc not to give them to me? 

The eye doctor needs to dilate your pupils so that he/she can see inside the eye.  This is often done to detect glaucoma.  This is a noninvasive procedure and harmless.  Your doctor will be examining your eyes for a short period of time.  Generally the doctor will give you a pair of dark glasses (like sunglasses to wear) to keep bright light away from your dilated pupils.  That way you will be able to see to drive.  You should be fine.  Your vision will probably be blurred for a couple of hours.  If you have your own pair of dark glasses those would be fine to wear so long as they really filter out the sun.  It is best if if the glasses curve around your head somewhat to block sunlight coming from the sides.  You've probably seen these type of glasses before.

The last time my I-doc did that to me He just had me wear sun glasses to drive home and for several hours after. I don't remember any problem with blurry vision which surprised me because a doctor did that to me when I was about 5 years old and it bothered me so much I never let anyone do it again until I was about 70.